Vernors Ginger Ale 150th B-Day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hey, Keith

Here's a little curve-ball for you (and for me). This amber Coca Cola bottle was described as being marked on the base with ...

C.G. CO. - 14

Does that mark ring a bell?

Note: I'm still looking for an actual picture of the mark on one of these bottles for 100% confirmation. As it stands now I'm taking the seller's word for it - with no reason to doubt him at this time. He also described it as being from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and said it was blown and tooled.

C.G. CO. 14 Coca Cola Bottle  Philadelphia, Pa.jpg

C.G. CO. 14 Coca Cola Bottle  Philadelphia, Pa (2).jpg

Vernor's Ginger Ale Bottle C.G.CO.  Keith Forum Sept 2016.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
I'm putting a great deal of faith into this ad in that its referring to "carbonated/bottled" Vernor's Ginger Ale for $1.65 per dozen. Even though I might be assuming this, I find it hard to believe that anyone would buy twelve bottles of extract, especially when you take into account that a typical bottle of extract made five-gallons of ready to drink beverage. Not to mention it list Vernor's extract separately. Anyhoo, this is still the earliest reference I can find that even hints at carbonated/bottled Vernor's Ginger Ale. If anyone has or finds an earlier reference, please share it with us. I'm using clues like this in an attempt to date Keith's C.G. CO. bottle.

Detroit Free Press ~ June 18, 1904

Vernor's Ginger Ale Bottles Possible Carbonated DFP June 18, 1904.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Keith

Question: Do you have any information that says with certainty if there was ever a refund/rebate allowed for Vernor's extract bottles?

I have seen tons of references about Vernor's Ginger Ale refunds/rebates for bottles, but for the life of me I can't figure out if they're talking about extract bottles or carbonated bottles!

SODABOB

Reaction score
For example, how do you interpret this ad?

Note:

The 15-cent price sounds high for a carbonated bottle, which typically sold for a nickle at the time - that is unless its referring to a quart size bottle. If for an extract bottle, then they did offer rebates for the return of extract bottles. But if for a carbonated bottle, then this is now the earliest date I can find for carbonated/bottled Vernor's Ginger Ale.

Extract or Carbonated - which is it referring to?

Detroit Free Press ~ July 5, 1902

Vernor's Ginger Ale Bottles DFP July 5, 1902.jpg

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
I got hundreds of Michigan soda's & beers from early 1900's in crown tops & I'm sure I got a few with the CG Co. but most of them boxed up as I only got shelf room for a few hundred blob tops & pre 1900 bottles. I did find this Detroit Brewing co tooled crown top with the CG Co. but with the Guaranteed by (Company name) wouldn't that date it a little later then we are looking for. LEON.CGco2.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hey, Leon

You just made my day! I've been looking for one of those boogers! And, yes, the basic guarantee statement would date to 1907 at the earliest - with the amended [Name Here] statement dating to 1909 or later. But it at least confirms the C.G. CO. mark on a Detroit bottle, which is good news. However, we still don't know for sure which glass company its for. Your bottle appears to have some additional numbers or letters to the right of the C.G. CO. mark. What are they? Knowing what those additional marks are could help to better identify and date the bottle.

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
I just happened to find this very different version of an embossed quart Food & Drug Act bottle when looking for something else. It's the only one I have embossed like this. But, thought I'd throw it out there just for fun. No CG CO markings and the seam goes all the way to the top. So, a little later era bottle than we're talking about right now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 108

SODABOB

Reaction score
Keith

You said "No C.G. CO. markings," but what about other types of markings, symbols, numbers, letters, etc, on the base or heel?

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
I have good news and bad news!

The good news - amazing news - is I found something that's probably the proof we're looking for about Vernor making sodas in his pharmacy.

The bad news is it's a photocopy and not dated.

Two photos are attached. (The top and bottom of the same piece.) At the bottom it says James Vernor Pharmacist and Florist.

Exciting discovery! But still doesn't have the detail - a date - that we need.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 99

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
Keith

You said "No C.G. CO. markings," but what about other types of markings, symbols, numbers, letters, etc, on the base or heel?

There's large 5 at the base of the bottle on the opposite side of the embossing. No other markings. No embossing on the bottom of the bottle.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC