Wagner & Fotheringham Brooklyn bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

g1t0

Reaction score
Hi
I hope I don’t bother anyone with this post as I am not a collector but rather someone who is hoping to get some help learning about something I found.

If this post isn’t allowed feel free to delete.

While walking near my home in Evans Georgia and I found the piece of glass shown.

My hope was just to learn about its history.

It is embossed with:
Wagner & Fotheringham
Brooklyn
The “&” is inside of a star.

Searching the internet didn’t yield a match. Not only that, I can’t really find much of anything beyond:
Henry Wagner & Henry Fotheringham had a brewery in the Bushwick area of Brooklyn in the late 1880’s and early 1900’s where they brewed beer and ginger ale.

I searched the online archives of the NY public library and the Brooklyn Eagle. NOTHING.

I searched for brewers guild records for New York and Long Island. Nothing.
eBay nothing. The threads on this site also didn’t seem to have anything.

Even Google says there aren’t many results for your search and only gives about 10 results.

Hoping this group has some ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_0252.jpeg
    IMG_0252.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0254.jpeg
    IMG_0254.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 39

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! That bottle definitely ended up pretty far from home. What sort of info are you looking for? There often isn't much out there for these smaller companies beyond the sort of thing you found. Often they weren't very well-documented. I'm sure there'd be more out there if you visited the NYC archives in person, but most of the archival material from that era has never been digitized.

g1t0

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! That bottle definitely ended up pretty far from home. What sort of info are you looking for? There often isn't much out there for these smaller companies beyond the sort of thing you found. Often they weren't very well-documented. I'm sure there'd be more out there if you visited the NYC archives in person, but most of the archival material from that era has never been digitized.
Thank you for the reply
I was just curious if anyone had any other info on them.
What year this bottle was created.
What happened to the brewery.
Is Henry Wagner connected to the Wagner glass company in some way?
Was this a beer bottle or ginger ale?
Depending on the year, I can research it maybe it ended up here during the civil war. ‍♂️
What happened to the Henry’s after the brewery closed.
I am just so generally curious.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply
I was just curious if anyone had any other info on them.
What year this bottle was created.
What happened to the brewery.
Is Henry Wagner connected to the Wagner glass company in some way?
Was this a beer bottle or ginger ale?
Depending on the year, I can research it maybe it ended up here during the civil war. ‍♂️
What happened to the Henry’s after the brewery closed.
I am just so generally curious.
To answer a few of these questions:
It's too early for the bottle to have an exact date but I'd guess 1890s-ish, give or take a decade.
Almost certainly unconnected to the glass company. It's a common enough name and the two industries are completely different.
Probably ginger ale, although it would help to have been able to see the whole bottle.
Definitely ended up there a long time after the civil war. Most likely came in on a train, that's usually how bottles ended up in weird places far from their home city.

kostgar

Reaction score
I can't add much to what's been said about this bottler but I have another variant in my collection with the words GINGER ALE embossed.

Attachments

• PXL_20240807_125606602.jpg
    PXL_20240807_125606602.jpg
    907.4 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20240807_125628700.jpg
    PXL_20240807_125628700.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20240807_125639241.jpg
    PXL_20240807_125639241.jpg
    990.9 KB · Views: 29

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
Hi
I hope I don’t bother anyone with this post as I am not a collector but rather someone who is hoping to get some help learning about something I found.

If this post isn’t allowed feel free to delete.

While walking near my home in Evans Georgia and I found the piece of glass shown.

My hope was just to learn about its history.

It is embossed with:
Wagner & Fotheringham
Brooklyn
The “&” is inside of a star.

Searching the internet didn’t yield a match. Not only that, I can’t really find much of anything beyond:

I searched the online archives of the NY public library and the Brooklyn Eagle. NOTHING.

I searched for brewers guild records for New York and Long Island. Nothing.
eBay nothing. The threads on this site also didn’t seem to have anything.

Even Google says there aren’t many results for your search and only gives about 10 results.

Hoping this group has some ideas.
I recently bought an example of the Christian Wagner Brooklyn bottle, a fairly typical style for ginger ale, possibly as early as the late 1880s. or 1890s. Interesting bottle.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51