Birth of the Kik Kola Company of Montreal

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlebugs

Reaction score
more US usage as promised..they were deep in my archives..

1722411834363.png

1722411902080.png

1722411945338.png

1722412002474.png

1722412146354.png

more 1920's America Dry ads as well...prohibition era USA

1722412248942.png

1722412290375.png

Historical-Info-Service

Collector of BC Bottles and History, Historian
Reaction score
Hi Gerry,

I would love to add your sources to my archives! I have had two American Kik bottles in the past. One from Portland MA and one from NYC. They are clearly marked. A bottle collector friend has the Portland one now, on his mantle place at home. There are also plenty of US signage and bottles, carrying cases too. Miami and NYC seemed to be their primary focus.
Interesting. I could not find any US advertising. Regardless, Kik originated in Canada and was trademarked there in 1935 (application number 0166091, registration number UCA4543) . It was then trademarked over a year later in the US (serial number 381.704). It started business in the America Dry plant in Montreal and then moved. I have reason to believe that Kik eventually became the parent company of the Canadian America Dry Co, but haven't confirmed that yet.

Last edited:

Historical-Info-Service

Reaction score
more US usage as promised..they were deep in my archives..

View attachment 256766

View attachment 256767
View attachment 256768

View attachment 256769

View attachment 256770

more 1920's America Dry ads as well...prohibition era USA

View attachment 256771

View attachment 256772
Yes, I'm aware that America Dry originated in the US much earlier than in Canada. The trademark for America Dry was filed by America Dry Company of Canada (a subsidiary of the US company) on January 26, 1927 - application number 0133288, registration number TMDA41278. A new label design trademark was applied for in 1930, application number 0151924. What is strange is that the online records show the registrant as the Kik Company, yet Kik, wasn't introduced until about 1934. This is one indicator that American Dry of Canada was actually a subsidiary of Kik. Usually the registrant info is correct to the date of filing, but the newer name will show as the current owner. However, this registration was expunged in 1939 for failure to provide information, so there is no newer owner listed.

Attachments

• 133288.png
    133288.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 151924.png
    151924.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Historical-Info-Service

Reaction score
Interesting. I could not find any US advertising. Regardless, Kik originated in Canada and was trademarked there in 1935 (application number 0166091, registration number UCA4543) . It was then trademarked over a year later in the US (serial number 381.704). It started business in the America Dry plant in Montreal and then moved. I have reason to believe that Kik eventually became the parent company of the Canadian America Dry Co, but haven't confirmed that yet.
And then just like that, because I couldn't give up, I found this...the opening of the FIRST U.S. Kik plant in 1941 in Miami, FL. The article clearly states that the company started in Canada and is Canadian owned and was studying the American market with an eye toward expansion. This corroborates the trademark registration in Canada in 1935 and subsequent trademark registration in the US in 1936 to protect their product name in case they decide to expand in the future.

Attachments

• The_Miami_News_1941_07_08_5.jpg
    The_Miami_News_1941_07_08_5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

bottlebugs

Reaction score
What I find most interesting is the repeated statement that the product was famous for 30 years. Since the year of the article was 1941, that would push the product's existence to 1911. Sounds very much like a press release for a Pepsi product, being "Famous for 30 Years". Do you suppose Kik was invented in 1911? If so, who invented it and where? If
it was invented in NYC by the Delatour family, as I originally proposed, then it all makes sense. I have no doubt that it was bottled much earlier than 1936 as suggested at the very beginning of this thread. I am saying that Lazarus Bloom took credit for a product that was being already being supplied to him by the Delatour family in concentrate form.
That would have been 1926, which is much more believable date for the image of the football player.

Just as an additional note. Delatour died before the trademark registration date of 1936
in NYC. Did the new corporation just follow status quo, and simply not question the
Canadian division of America Dry Ginger Ale. Scotch Products also owned the name
KIK and duly registered it as Kik Kola.

I do have an origin theory for the name KIK but its not without the need for some imagination. The order sheets were not unlike that of any supplier...short form.

for example... G/A for ginger ale
G/O for Golden Orange
K/K for Kent's Kola (or maybe Delatour's Koca/Kola)

Benjamin Kent stopped using the name Kent's Coca-Cola because of trademark laws.
Coca-Cola actually paid him $400 to stop using the name to settle any future conflicts.
I'll bet he continued making the product using the alliteration Kent's Kola (K/K)

wait a second?! was that K/K or KIK?

This new information is an exciting new chapter in my quest for the origin of KIK!

Last edited:

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Hey HIS! Have you read my origin theories involving Kent and the Delatour family?
Lazarus Bloom was supplied by Delatour's America Dry. Boy this makes me happy!
It lends credence to your Miami article. It may not be conclusive, but it pushes the
origin back to about 1911. Just in time for AJ Delatour's grandson to start bottling
sodas in the Delatour family tradition. Thanks so very much. This really helps support
my theory.
:)

Historical-Info-Service

Reaction score
Hey HIS! Have you read my origin theories involving Kent and the Delatour family?
Lazarus Bloom was supplied by Delatour's America Dry. Boy this makes me happy!
It lends credence to your Miami article. It may not be conclusive, but it pushes the
origin back to about 1911. Just in time for AJ Delatour's grandson to start bottling
sodas in the Delatour family tradition. Thanks so very much. This really helps support
my theory.
:)
That 30 years comment did seem off to me...maybe you have something there. I also came across something interesting shortly after I found that Miami article that confirms Kik was indeed being bottled in New York as early as 1938. However it would appear that Kik, Inc was a licensee (who in turn supplied bottlers in the state) and was not owned by Kik Company or America Dry, otherwise they would have not been able to sue Kik Company for lost revenue after receiving an inferior batch of concentrate from the Montreal company.

Attachments

• The_Gazette_1939_01_20_13.jpg
    The_Gazette_1939_01_20_13.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 23

bottlebugs

Reaction score
That 30 years comment did seem off to me...maybe you have something there. I also came across something interesting shortly after I found that Miami article that confirms Kik was indeed being bottled in New York as early as 1938. However it would appear that Kik, Inc was a licensee (who in turn supplied bottlers in the state) and was not owned by Kik Company or America Dry, otherwise they would have not been able to sue Kik Company for lost revenue after receiving an inferior batch of concentrate from the Montreal company.
WOW! this actually proves my theory that Kik Canada was being supplied by the parent company in NYC during the Bloom days! As Delatour was dead, the new corporation removed themselves from the America Dry name. Thanks again! You must have as subscription to Newspaper.com.
I'm too cheap to subscribe and miss out on all these great tidbits!

Historical-Info-Service

Reaction score
WOW! this actually proves my theory that Kik Canada was being supplied by the parent company in NYC during the Bloom days! As Delatour was dead, the new corporation removed themselves from the America Dry name. Thanks again! You must have as subscription to Newspaper.com.
I'm too cheap to subscribe and miss out on all these great tidbits!
You must have misread - Kik Company (Canada) was supplying concentrate to the US company. Kik Company (Canada) is the parent company, not the other way around. Kik originated in Canada and was registered here first (1935) and over a year later in the US. America Dry's Montreal HQ was the registrar. Presumably Kik Inc was licensed by Kik Company. The expansion in 1941 to Miami was done by Kik Company (Canada) and not by Kik, Inc (the US company). Kik Company was able to do this because ultimately they held the trademark and rights, and Kik Inc (being a licensee) could not prevent them from doing so.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Yes I saw that and in my forensic analysis it projects your new information as well...it actually makes better sense.
If Montreal was shipping concentrate to NY during the 1930s, they could have also been shipping bootleg liquor...
just remember that Kik Miami claimed that Kik was over 30 years old in 1941...thats an interesting statement too.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51