Bottle found on the bottom of an Ontario Lake

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

embe

Reaction score
I read that anews article too, and thought 'boy this sounds familiar'. Congrats

Highgrader

Reaction score
Made it onto more than just CBC. I have 2 more interviews today and it must have got into the US news as I have had enquiries about the bottle from as far as Arkansas. I looked closer last night at the one that blew the cork on the way up, I was cleaning it and going to give it to the daughter of one of the guys in the cab when it went through. On the lead cork cover I could make out some writing. One has the lead fused to the bottle, the one has the lead with the little bit of writing and the one being auctioned has no sign of any cover. There was also a really faint 7 on the bottom of the bottle and what appeared to be a diamond with a circle in it.

Attachments

• 20240926_210735.jpg
    20240926_210735.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 18

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Made it onto more than just CBC. I have 2 more interviews today and it must have got into the US news as I have had enquiries about the bottle from as far as Arkansas. I looked closer last night at the one that blew the cork on the way up, I was cleaning it and going to give it to the daughter of one of the guys in the cab when it went through. On the lead cork cover I could make out some writing. One has the lead fused to the bottle, the one has the lead with the little bit of writing and the one being auctioned has no sign of any cover. There was also a really faint 7 on the bottom of the bottle and what appeared to be a diamond with a circle in it.
Wow congrats, you're getting some international fame!
The circle in the diamond is probably a D, for Dominion Glass. Is there any more writing on the lead foil? That one pretty clearly says [R]obert, but the last name would be more useful for figuring out which brand it was.

Highgrader

Reaction score
Wow congrats, you're getting some international fame!
The circle in the diamond is probably a D, for Dominion Glass. Is there any more writing on the lead foil? That one pretty clearly says [R]obert, but the last name would be more useful for figuring out which brand it was.
The remainder is corroded and that little bit is all that is visible. I wasn't sure if it was an R or C but the cross of the T almost looks like it turns into the cross of an H in the second word.

Martenrat

Reaction score
It was in a lake next to a little mining town in Northern Ontario, up near Timmins, so not heading to the US. I figure it was using a winter road and was servicing a mine. Without a mark or bump on the bottle, bootleg might make sense.
Could have supplied a mine, loggers or the native population. Or out for a joy ride while drinking and didn't make it across the lake. Happens on Temagami...especially in the past. Heard some stories from some old timers, back in the early 80's, that lived on Bear Island of the antics they did in the winter when they were young. Crazy bunch.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisaObie