Canada Coca Cola bottle - no date marks

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Nobeaux

Reaction score
I have this Canada Coca Cola bottle that I think is an early pre 1931 hobbleskirt and I'm trying to get a more firm date. It's clear glass. Under the Coca Cola script it's embossed on one side TRADE MARK REGISTERED on first line and MIN . CONTENTS 6 - FL . OZS on the second line. Other side is embossed THE COCA - COLA COMPANY on the first line and OF CANADA , LIMITED. on the second line. There is a 4 mark on the bottom. Looks like there may be a partial mark on the edge of the bottom - maybe half of a diamond with an illegible letter or number in it. Hard to tell but tried to pick it up in the photo. No other marks are on the bott
20240709_113624.jpg
20240709_113544.jpg
20240709_113524.jpg
le. It's been around the block for sure. Found in Mississippi. Any additional info is appreciated.

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
The Diamond on the bottom has a D inside of it. It's the makers mark for Dominion glass company. The 4 is a mould number. I'd say your right, it is pre 1931. I'm not exactly sure, so I will do some research and let you know if I find anything of interest. Dominion glass company started putting the makers mark on bottles starting in 1928, but not very many bottles were made with the mark in that year, so if I had to guess when yours was made I'd say 1929.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
I've had many versions of the pre 1931 Canadian hobble skirt from about 1919 to 1930...
Step Back is right; 1928-9 as I suspected. Mid to later 20's bottles are missing a line below the trade mark where US patent information was peened out or removed. This is
one of the first years to provide a truly Canadian registration.

Nobeaux

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I don’t collect Coca-Cola and don’t know the history of the various bottles or the Canadian twist associated with this one. My sister gave me the bottle and a few others. I read through several old threads in researching this and it’s now piqued my interest. This is part of the fun of collecting for me. No telling what that bottle has been through to end up in a shed in Sandy Hook, Mississippi and now in Louisiana. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with me. - Carl

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Dominion glass company started putting the makers mark on bottles starting in 1928, but not very many bottles were made with the mark in that year, so if I had to guess when yours was made I'd say 1929.
I don't think this is true, I know the SHA paper says that but it doesn't make sense to me, there are too many BIM bottles with Dominion maker's marks on the bottom. The SHA paper quotes Thomas B. King's book Glass in Canada for that date, but the book's explanation which they quote is basically nonsensical and clearly incorrect. I'm not sure why they uncritically accepted King's information there, since their other papers are generally so good.

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
When would you say they started putting the diamond on bottles? Thanks for correcting me! They also say that consumers started putting the triangle on bottles in 1917, but I'm not so sure about that. What do you think?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby29