Digging Oahu

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hezezilla

Reaction score
I've never even thought about going out digging for bottles until I joined this group. You guys find some really awesome bottles!
In this hobby, to get bottles you either have to dig into the earth or dig into your wallet.

Digging is much harder than buying though. I'm young still yet but hiking for over 6 hours the other day has got my legs killing me. That said, my area (Honolulu, HI) is very hard to dig.

mandy76

Reaction score
In this hobby, to get bottles you either have to dig into the earth or dig into your wallet.

Digging is much harder than buying though. I'm young still yet but hiking for over 6 hours the other day has got my legs killing me. That said, my area (Honolulu, HI) is very hard to dig.
Ha! I'd much rather dig in the dirt. I wouldn't even know where to look to even know if it's worth digging. I'm in Southern Cali in the high desert and camp a lot in these parts. I do some rock hounding but doubtful there's many bottles to be found. I could be wrong though.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That San Francisco bottle with the Chinese characters is really interesting, I think it's the only example I've ever seen of a bottle with only Chinese characters which is marked as being from North America. I wonder if the California collectors even have any idea that one exists! Presumably it's pre-Prohibition as well, since it doesn't have the "Federal law prohibits" marking.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
That San Francisco bottle with the Chinese characters is really interesting, I think it's the only example I've ever seen of a bottle with only Chinese characters which is marked as being from North America. I wonder if the California collectors even have any idea that one exists! Presumably it's pre-Prohibition as well, since it doesn't have the "Federal law prohibits" marking.
I didn't even think about the "federal law prohibits". I assumed it was post prohibition but pre-ww2. I'm so used to imported beers from Japan that I never thought of that. I guess it would have looked like the later Wing Lee Wai bottles.

I did notice that the top appears to have been redone. There's a noticeable edge at the base of the crown top which made me think it may have formerly been a corker.

I've only ever see two of these bottles aside from mine. My digging buddy has one and some guy in Washington State has the other. My local FB people really liked my photo of it so I assume it's uncommon at the least. Would love to hear from an SF collector.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I didn't even think about the "federal law prohibits". I assumed it was post prohibition but pre-ww2. I'm so used to imported beers from Japan that I never thought of that. I guess it would have looked like the later Wing Lee Wai bottles.

I did notice that the top appears to have been redone. There's a noticeable edge at the base of the crown top which made me think it may have formerly been a corker.

I've only ever see two of these bottles aside from mine. My digging buddy has one and some guy in Washington State has the other. My local FB people really liked my photo of it so I assume it's uncommon at the least. Would love to hear from an SF collector.
The top is pretty typical for early machine-made beer (style) bottles from the 1910s or so. I just realized though, wine didn't require the "Federal law prohibits" marking if it was under a certain alcohol content, so this bottle probably wouldn't have had it regardless. I still think it's likely pre-pro though based on the look of the lip. What does the base look like?

Hezezilla

Reaction score
The top is pretty typical for early machine-made beer (style) bottles from the 1910s or so. I just realized though, wine didn't require the "Federal law prohibits" marking if it was under a certain alcohol content, so this bottle probably wouldn't have had it regardless. I still think it's likely pre-pro though based on the look of the lip. What does the base look like?
Learning new things everyday. Don't have a picture at the moment but it's pretty crude for an American bottle. It's almost a flat base with some pitting and bubbles with a faint "13" in the middle.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Learning new things everyday. Don't have a picture at the moment but it's pretty crude for an American bottle. It's almost a flat base with some pitting and bubbles with a faint "13" in the middle.
Yeah that's probably pre-pro then. I think the US beer-style bottles were quite uniform and modern-looking after Prohibition, at least based on the ones that I've seen.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Yeah that's probably pre-pro then. I think the US beer-style bottles were quite uniform and modern-looking after Prohibition, at least based on the ones that I've seen.
When I get home, I'll post pictures of it and some examples of American and Japanese beers from the same time.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Here is the base of the Chinese ginseng wine. To me, it is an in between of blown and early machine made Japanese beers. I was looking at all my beers and I feel like the crudity of it is only matched by pre-1905 stuff.
1000000967.jpg

Compared to a tooled HI beer, c.1910
1000000971.jpg

An early machine made Japanese beer, c. 1920
1000000969.jpg

And a really early etched Dai Nippon beer (early for Japan at least) c. 1906-1911
1000000973.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisaObie