Riverbank Mystery Item!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mazikeen

Reaction score
This item found on riverbank in VT. Patina not right for cast iron and I can’t find a magnet. Almost has texture and weight of stone. Just a little too big for a door handle. Thoughts?
Possible a net weight

Vetus Vitrum

Reaction score
I would venture to guess there is a fossil inside, of one sort or another, possible an ammonite. What of stone is in the area you're located, limestone, marble, granite, sandstone, shale?

Jake2150

Reaction score
I would venture to guess there is a fossil inside, of one sort or another, possible an ammonite. What of stone is in the area you're located, limestone, marble, granite, sandstone, shale?
I didn’t dig it myself but definitely clay, granite and shale in Vermont.

SADmaninKY

Reaction score
This item found on riverbank in VT. Patina not right for cast iron and I can’t find a magnet. Almost has texture and weight of stone. Just a little too big for a door handle. Thoughts?
I don't know what it is, but it's the best one I've every seen!!

Blip

Reaction score
Definitely a concretion. I seen many and own several and they all have the look of your piece. It's mostly made up of sandy clay that forms into very unusual shapes: flat, round, cylinders, bizarre, etc. Concretions are a common geological object found all over the world. Each location has its own specific look, which helps a collector identify where it came from. I have ones very similar to the picture, but stretched taller, with some variation in thickness. Sorry I don't have a photo. Your piece is definitely a classic Vermont concretion! Bruce L

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
As a life long fossil hunter my guess is naturally formed stone, a product of stream erosion. Of course that is without examining the item personally.

Reaction score
Regardless it is an awesome find! Id be tickled if I had found it! Display it proudly and let's us know if you figure out what it is!

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby29