So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Ok the last few days have brought in about $10 plus in change, a solid brass Army button, Farm marlette spindle pc marked 1909, a Crane Co Bridgeport Conn GEM brass fire hose nozzle marked Patent June 23 1903, 1 tennis ball, 1 Franklin small football, 2 softballs, 1 brass ring, 3 wheat cents 1928 the earliest, an ammount of 380 shell casings, a 32 cal bullet (removed from school grounds), a 50ft electrical cord (scrap metal) some fishing lures, and other scrap metals.
Back at it after Thursdays midterms. Good luck all.

ironmountain

Reaction score
you must have an entire pole barn just for the stuff you find...

and you find the most random stuff!
haven't been back to the hotel site yet...it's been raining..Been stuck in the house doing housework...

MIdigger

Reaction score
Re: RE: So where are the detector reports??

Nah Iron, I wheel and deal it!... Yesterday we got out for a bit = Double silver!!..1st we went to a local park and I wandered off in the direction of some large oaks. At the base of one I got a sound and dug up (rang in as a quarter) a sterling broach shaped item, weighing about 1/2 oz. Also found about $4 between me and the g/f. At the ball fields I got a strange back and forth blip 1/10 cent-quarter and dug up a sterling ring. We were out maybe 2 hours. I also found the top to an old oil lamp with the wick holder and the side turn knob. I think it said A&S MFG Climax on the knob in old script. Have to double check as I haven't looked that item up yet for my own research.That one old campground I hit 2 times and pulled 100 plus coins per trip. Only saw one other detectorist. G/f seems to be getting the hang of it though, she finds a lot of quarters. Shes of the mind any "vacant" land should be detected....not minding who owns it....I have to remind her that's not the way it works...We operate within the law.. No permission = no detecting. Yesterday she thought she beat me monetarily...$2.03, and then I counted my findings..$2.43. I told her its not a competition! (although I didn't tell her the coins meant nothing--the silver is what mattered!). The campgrounds she pulled maybe 40 coins the first time and 60 plus the 2nd and thought that sucked because she didn't find as many as me....Women!.Hoping to get out detecting and digging this weekend if the rains let up. Should be great for detecting with the ground saturation. Good luck everyone!!

ironmountain

Reaction score

Dang. she's as hardcore as you! I think you find as much stuff in one day as I do in a year.. I haven't been able to get out at all this past week. Weather has been kind of crud.miserable drizzle or rain.Cant wait for firearm season..not for the hunting, but for the digging. guy on CL is looking for as many amber beer bottles as he can get...i laughed.Daughter and I have piled at least 1k of them on the rims of the dumps we've hit on the farm..and there are thousands to go...i told him i'd start him off with a few trash bags full... said he'd pay .20c per...more than fair for me considering I have to just get a bag, stand in one spot and fill it up. To top it off..Last night I took daughter and her friend around to get some candy..Daughter says she's hot, opens the back window, window stays down..in the rain.the motor/switch/carriage are all good..it came off of the track...i had to ghetto close it last night..no way i was going to open that panel in the pouring rain with lightning.. I've been organizing all of the stuff I'm getting rid of... Have the '53 Higgins almost torn apart. Cleaned up the back and rear hubs last night...now i just need to get the handlebars off and the front crank... That early 70's schwinn I'm ripping apart is pretty clean... all original. from the handlebars to the tires and rims.Started going through the 200+ classical albums my neighbor gave me when they moved out of state a month or so ago...Most of them were rarely, if at all, played. Still shiny and clean with not even a smudge....All classical/chamber/choir music..many are pretty rare...a few sell up to 300$.. Figure 2-3k on the low side.oh..you've got to see this knife we picked up and then sold within an hr... it's a Bark River Knife..the hand is a pinecone...

Attachments

• 416ace34d2234348a0e13a7abd042350.jpg
    416ace34d2234348a0e13a7abd042350.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 93

MIdigger

Reaction score

Iron, cool knife!. Sounds like you have a lot of "stuff" there too. We hit a few new spots. Pulled some wheats '42, '46, and a 53-S. I also pulled another sterling ring (pretty small), and the G/f pulled a '44 mercury dime. We also pulled some copper 3/4 inch pipe. I dug a piece (rang in as $1) about 8 inches down and was folded up, weighs maybe 3lbs, and she found a "stick" length about 15 inches long. Coins are nice but that coppers going for good $$ too. Clad we probably pulled about $6 more in. Going after class today. Met another detectorist and he has some spots he wants to try as a group effort. Said sure we will try.The rains have gone, so Iam sure the ground will be good for finding new stuff. Have a new mascot I found too. Its a green rubber lizard I found (where Ive found the silver lately) Call him Looby the lucky lizard.... Good luck everyone.P.S.-- those metal detector ads are not of my doing that are attached to this thread. I do not endorse any ads, and haven't been asked to.

ironmountain

Reaction score

nice pull on the copper! i haven't ever heard of anyone downstate that far pulling copper out of the ground.3lbs is a nice sized hunk too. Glad the weather is finally breaking a bit for you guys down there. it's just been low 30's here and miserable. i can't believe how much clad you pull up. There must a ton of people with holes in their pockets down there. i like the lizard name. It's good that you found someone to MD with. My friend is always busy (owns a takeout italian restaurant..he makes everything from scratch and a coin shop.), so I go it alone. Unless wife/daughter want to come. Daughter has a basketball tourney tomorrow so won't be out then. Was going to take wife's friend to the hotel dig spot, but wouldn't want to disappoint her by telling her we have to pull it from the muck of the creek. She said she wants to "branch out". She wants insulators now. The lines from the turn of the century are still parallel to the rr tracks. Most of the poles are on the ground. The rest are almost on the ground. 6+ per pole. Saw a few milk glass ones there. Talking 2miles or so of them. I'm sure it's federal land and we'll just be able to look and not touch. I'm feeling pretty industrious lately. Daughter and I are going to pull a few lawn bags full of amber beer bottles from the farm for the guy i talked to on CL that wants as many as he can get and is paying .20 per. (daughter says we're going to be rich because of all of the bottles). We need a new countertop. the one that was in here when we moved in 4yrs ago is horrid. We redid the cupboards to a chocolate brown and the countertop is that laminate fake butcher block stuff. Found a few websites where ppl use crushed/ground glass and resin to make countertops. I'm going to haul some amber/green/clear glass home and get some resin and make a sample. See how it turns out. GL hunting this weekend! going back to this ebay stuff..

Dugout

Reaction score

That is an awesome countertop idea ironmountain. I think I remember you posting a picture of the cupboards. I would love to figure out something to do with the broken glass that I have. I may need your recipe if your project turns out.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Hey all, weve pulled over $25.00 worth of clad within the week, also found.. new scissors, a Detroit tigers hat (new), about 10 wheats, 5 rings, 1 large boat anchor, a rod and reel combo, (Anchor almost new 20lbs--flea mkt item for sale!!), 17 sinkers, 1 bass lure, 8 tokens, a batman figuring (the thing was down 3 inches in the sand ..I was digging a large sinker and it was above the sinker), a copper shot cup, and yesterday digging I pulled 2 quart 1940s Atlas jars, 6 cobalts, 5 milks, 3 silverplate spoons, 5 hotwheels cars, and a brick that says sugar creek Ohio forestblend. Yep, plenty of weirdness finds!! plus lots of scrap copper/aluminum/brass......And today? Its *^&%$*&ing snowing. Arghhh. Man just when I was on a roll. Hope to be back digging and detecting by the weekend...tonight going down to 19...again--not happy!. Good luck all.

Dugout

Reaction score

[:)] Helps to find more stuff with 2 detectors going doesn't it, Rich!

MIdigger

Reaction score

Well, its a pain in the *** when she wants to slow me down (women), but shes learning to figure it out. Oh and heres one I must share....Were doing a park, and I hadn't found much, 3q,1d, 3p and she about the same...so shes detecting around a water hole (had been finding quarters).....I wander the other way and then hear "LETS go IM all wet".....seems Ms genius got too close to the water hole and fell in up to her waist. Now, Iam just shaking my head going why oh why did I bring her along.....then I look and shes standing with just her duds on and asking me for some warm clothes?? Huh? all I have is an extra hunting coat. She then says, Im cold, jumps in the car and leaves said pile of soaking clothes at my feet and says Im to cold to put them in a bag (yep had a garbage bag)....good grief...so I have to bag the stuff (should've tossed it in the waterhole), ruined my detecting trip, it was worse than dealing with a 3 yr old!!Yep, think Im going solo again, this one isn't the one!. PS on a good note the dipstick didn't get the detector soaked---then I maybe would've had an aneurism blow.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC