So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ironmountain

Reaction score
the quartz hunk...found at the hotel site. Found in a hole i started digging. Hopefully hit the privy for the bunkhouse that I found a pic of. Hole is privy size and lined with brick (some of it collapsing ).
it's pretty large. 8-10" long x 6-8" at the widest point.

8417A3B5521D4314A042D6A394B1DF43.jpg

Attachments

• 8417A3B5521D4314A042D6A394B1DF43.jpg
    8417A3B5521D4314A042D6A394B1DF43.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 84

ironmountain

Reaction score
rock pic 2. this is one end of the rock. there are reddish streaks running through that I'd assume are iron. There are also black streaks/lines (not dirt) and what looks like a "normal" rock with a slight green color.

29508FCF2D7B4547A5BED834B7A7CF91.jpg

Attachments

• 29508FCF2D7B4547A5BED834B7A7CF91.jpg
    29508FCF2D7B4547A5BED834B7A7CF91.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 91

ironmountain

Reaction score
pic3...above pic looks like it has white paint on it..no idea what it is. not paint though.

DA3C1BD27E04425B92C86AF566BF8F67.jpg

Attachments

• DA3C1BD27E04425B92C86AF566BF8F67.jpg
    DA3C1BD27E04425B92C86AF566BF8F67.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 91

MIdigger

Reaction score
Wow, some cool finds. They had the M-15 rummage sales thru some cities and I did ok. Got some nice 7-ups, a few old German steins, some Vietnam era Army fatigues (with patches) few books to read. I did some detecting, but again, only a couple bucks of change. Bottle digging I came away with 7 milks, some cobalts, an old iron (the kind you just heated and used--no electric) 6 pcs of silverplate, some copper wire and 3 marbles. May go back later in the week.
Finished the college classes Bio-3.5 and hist 4.0 start 3 new classes this week. Weathers been great 70s and sunny. May do another flea mkt soon.
Found a couple more spots to detect and may go check them this weekend. Anyone else getting any finds? I did pop 5 more tokens from the Frankenmuth fun palace or whatever that place is called.

ironmountain

Reaction score
nice haul !!
i'm jealous that you sound disappointed about a cpl of bucks in change. that's actually a good day of MD'ing. how many milks have you found in the past year? seems like you find 5+ everytime you go out. crazy. I had two of those irons. heavy! especially with the wooden handle and the stand for it. you could probably melt your tokens down and buy a car...punch a hole in them, put dog tag chain through, make necklaces, sell them for 2 - 3$ each and win!

I think I'm going to hunt hard for copper this year at the farm. father in law's friend scraps for us (he has a semi) and he pays us 90-95% of spot...
one could find quite a bit of copper just hunting for it in the woods.

sell it has hunks for jewelry making or just scrap it..

Oh..was going to ask you if you know of any glass recyclers? There used to be one here but they only do cardboard and food cans etc now...

There are literally thousands of them at the farm that daughter and i have tossed out of holes we've been in..
would be nice to get rid of some and make a bit of change for the farm fund.

nice job on the classes. what new classes are you taking?
weather has been decent here too..last cpl of days it's been 70ish...
I'm in misery right now....wore shorts to scout/dig the hotel area and ended up whipped up and bug bitten. The grass and whips were down, but the little scrub brush and pickers were a pain. Wife only gave us 1/2hr so didn't think I'd be in long enough to matter lol..

I went MD'ing in the yard last night...I found a head of a lag bolt 10" down and a couple of nails. trashy area on the side of our house. The roof was redone 5yrs ago or so and they didn't clean up much. Buried over most of it when they resodded....

I was getting solid silver (99) mixed with quarter/dime/penny signals in one 2x2' area... must be deep though. alot of interference from iron in the ground.

I had this happen before and found a 1906 Indianhead and 2 '47 quarters within 10" of each other... the IH was 8" roughly and the quarters were 4-5". So there is some goodness there, just have to weed out the junk. Under our huge horse chestnut tree.. kids change falling out of pockets i'd assume..

other people must have gotten out too!! i know plumb has a story or two!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Good luck navigating the junky soil there Iron!

Nothing spectacular to report here, I got out yesterday to a little-known public field tucked away in an old neighborhood. Very trashy but I managed a 52D wheat and a 1946 S Roosevelt (looks like it got ran over by a car though) plus plenty of clad, and an old copper token that requires more cleaning. Prior to that I was dinking around an old city park that has been hunted to death. Aside from some surface finds of a nickel and dime, all I dug was a copper memorial and pull tabs. My detector doesn't go very deep so continuing to detect there would be a waste of time methinks.

Good luck all!

ironmountain

Reaction score
always nice to find silver..always nice to find a "country place, no one knows about"...bit of a Rush reference...Red Barchetta...

I like how you say "plenty" of clad.. told you, you're a token/clad/copper/plate/milk magnet!

You ever check your coins against rare/uncommon lists? like coinflation/cointrackers/coinstudy? i usually use cointrackers. Not so much for value (value changes so often), but for rarity.

there are 4 very small (mostly wooded over ) lots that used to be schools at the turn of the century. The grassy areas of each lot is enough to put a couple of benches on and let a toddler run around and play in.
Also found a spot that used to be where miners and their families used to go for picnics and taking their boats out to fish. 200-300yd narrow dirt driveway that leads to a nice clearing.

you should make a huge felt board to display all of your tokens on. That'd be something to see.

what do you use to clean copper?

I just use barkeeper's friend. Clean with water, add some dawn and lightly rub with soft toothbrush. That'll get rid of the dirt. Then paste out of Barkeeper's and water and cover copper with it and let sit for awhile, soft bristle toothbrush again and rinse... works well for coins and such.

If I have one with me, I use a pill bottle with paper towel and dawn. I slip the item in there, shut it and shake it like crazy. paper towel scrubs it lightly and keeps it from getting scratched. (i only use that method in the field just to see what it is).

I find that ketchup and taco sauce etc...give an ugly orange-ish patina..

rained all day yesterday. today is supposed to be nice and cool and overcast.

Hopefully can get out and clean the junk buried in the yard some more.

GL at your never ending supply of goodness spot!!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Got out for a little bit today. Nice and cold with frost on the suv. Only about a bucks worth of change. Then decided to play in the dump. Got some cobalts, 1 marble, a few odd ball types and 1 milk. Oh, and the handful of the silverplate....all spoons again. Little bit of scrap copper and aluminum too.
Hoping for a warm up as the cold sucks. Had to fix the brake lines that blew out on the suv yesterday. Back road bound and hope to hit a few more spots this week. Good luck!

msleonas

Reaction score
Finally picked up a metal detector today. I bought it from Harbor Freight. It is not an expensive one, but had great reviews. Also, I figured for a beginner it would do the job. I tried it out in my yard and found lots of nails! Then at a local shoreline I found even more nails. I visited a local park and found aluminum cans.... Then I went to a park with a river that runs through the area and found five bullets. I don't know anything about bullets so hoping someone can tell me the date of them.

Thanks
104_4282_zps97847e9f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
104_4281_zpscbed9004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

104_4280_zps09cf48e1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

104_4277_zpsa6cc0598.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

104_4276_zpsa55e8494.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

MIdigger

Reaction score
MS the ammo is of 2 types. The one is 38 colt NP (new police) and 38 S&W. Youll notice the difference on the rim as the NP has a beveled edge and the S&W does not. Its obsolete ammo, and somewhat collectible to a cartridge collector. Pretty interesting find!
I did a small playground yesterday and came away with a couple bucks change and 1 silver ring. Hope to get out this afternoon and hit a couple bigger parks.
good luck everyone!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC