Soda bottle with makers mark “abilena”

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Backyard goldmine

Reaction score
Found this bottle today. I’ve looked and can not find any info on it. Or anything like it. There are some amber bottles online with the word abilena. It also doesn’t glow as bright as I would expect under a black light if it has manganese in it.

Attachments

• IMG_9743.jpeg
    IMG_9743.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9744.jpeg
    IMG_9744.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9748.jpeg
    IMG_9748.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Despite looking like a soda bottle, this one was actually a laxative. An initial clue that it wasn't a soda is that the glass looks too thin for a soda bottle of that era. Yours must be a more recent example than the one in the ad.
1722639930609.png

Are you sure that it does have manganese in it? I can't see any indication that it does in the photos.

Backyard goldmine

Reaction score
The second picture shows the yellow glow under a black light. It’s not very bright, but it’s definitely glowing yellow.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
The second picture shows the yellow glow under a black light. It’s not very bright, but it’s definitely glowing yellow.
Is that only the result of manganese (or uranium)? I was wondering why people were taking the blacklight photos, somehow I missed that it was a manganese thing.

clearysamantha5

Reaction score
I have two cases of 1923 coke Christmas edition in the wooden crate they came in

DavidW

Reaction score
There are two different kinds of "GLOW" that glass collectors are most often looking for. One of them is from Uranium, and that type of glow is a strong bright green, mostly seen in several different types of "Uranium Glass" including green 'Depression Glass' tableware; Vaseline Glass (yellowish with a greenish tint glass); Burmese Glass; "Apple Green" colored EAPG; and some (not all) older Jadite (green opaque milkglass).

The OTHER kind of glow is that of Manganese (Manganese was used as a decolorizer in the glass formula - counteracting or "masking" the tendency for natural glass to come out in an aqua color) , and this is seen in clear glass bottles and tableware usually made in the 1880s-1920s period. The glow is a dull, rather unattractive sickly light green color, reminds me of split pea soup. It is best seen in TOTAL DARKNESS (try using a walk-in closet if you have one) with the UV blacklight shining through the very thickest part of the glass.

In the case of that Abilena bottle, that is the Manganese glass glow, which I have noticed sometimes will have more of a yellowish or yellowish-peach color when a blacklight is shone through clear glass that has a faint pinkish or purplish tint. When a UV light is shown into a purple glass bottle or insulator, the color can look more definitely peach.

Backyard goldmine

Reaction score
Is that only the result of manganese (or uranium)? I was wondering why people were taking the blacklight photos, somehow I missed that it was a manganese thing.
Uranium is supposed to be more green. Manganese is more yellow. If it’s just that simple, then I have only found manganese glass. But supposedly the only way to know for sure is with a Geiger counter. I ordered a cheap one to test them with. We will see

nhpharm

Reaction score
I'm going to be honest...I don't really get the fascination with the "manganese" bottles. In the later 1800's and early 1900's basically every clear glass bottle had manganese in it and will "glow" a pale yellow in a blacklight.

Backyard goldmine

Reaction score
I'm going to be honest...I don't really get the fascination with the "manganese" bottles. In the later 1800's and early 1900's basically every clear glass bottle had manganese in it and will "glow" a pale yellow in a blacklight.
That’s not what I’m finding. Out of the clear that I find, maybe 1 in 10 has manganese in it and a lot less have enough to shine bright.

Backyard goldmine

Reaction score
There are two different kinds of "GLOW" that glass collectors are most often looking for. One of them is from Uranium, and that type of glow is a strong bright green, mostly seen in several different types of "Uranium Glass" including green 'Depression Glass' tableware; Vaseline Glass (yellowish with a greenish tint glass); Burmese Glass; "Apple Green" colored EAPG; and some (not all) older Jadite (green opaque milkglass).

The OTHER kind of glow is that of Manganese (Manganese was used as a decolorizer in the glass formula - counteracting or "masking" the tendency for natural glass to come out in an aqua color) , and this is seen in clear glass bottles and tableware usually made in the 1880s-1920s period. The glow is a dull, rather unattractive sickly light green color, reminds me of split pea soup. It is best seen in TOTAL DARKNESS (try using a walk-in closet if you have one) with the UV blacklight shining through the very thickest part of the glass.

In the case of that Abilena bottle, that is the Manganese glass glow, which I have noticed sometimes will have more of a yellowish or yellowish-peach color when a blacklight is shone through clear glass that has a faint pinkish or purplish tint. When a UV light is shown into a purple glass bottle or insulator, the color can look more definitely peach.
I’m noticing that the aqua bottles with manganese in them give off only a very faint glow. Not sure what the difference or the reason for such a light glow compared to clear bottles or clear bottles with a slightly dark tint to them

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51