Soda bottle with makers mark “abilena”

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
What I was more getting at is what the fascination is? Are you going to display them in room with just a blacklight illuminating them?

Backyard goldmine

Reaction score
What I was more getting at is what the fascination is? Are you going to display them in room with just a blacklight illuminating them?
I’m going to make a display for them with a black light in it. If you use the right kind of black light, the room doesn’t have to be completely dark.

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That’s not what I’m finding. Out of the clear that I find, maybe 1 in 10 has manganese in it and a lot less have enough to shine bright.
I'm guessing you're mostly finding post-WWI bottles. Supply shortages during the war led to manganese being mostly phased out in favour of selenium for clear glass, but it was ubiquitous before the war.

Backyard goldmine

Reaction score
I'm guessing you're mostly finding post-WWI bottles. Supply shortages during the war led to manganese being mostly phased out in favour of selenium for clear glass, but it was ubiquitous before the war.
I’d say so. Most makers marks I find have date ranges from the teens to 20’s. Like O inside a square and I inside a diamond. Those 2 are by far the most common makers marks here.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51