Who Came First?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Just a quick post. I have found much discussion as to the origin of Kik Kola.
I have seen both anecdotal and hard evidence. The question still remains.

A Canadian registration does not mean the product was originating in Canada.

Here's some examples...Coca-Cola registered for use in US since 1886.
Registered as a Canadian Company in about 1929

"Coca-Cola Company of Canada Limited"

1722414804097.png

Pepsi-Cola Company of Canada registered around 1934.
Registered for use in US since 1898.

"Pepsi-Cola Company of Canada Limited"

1722415041658.png

America Dry Ginger Ale Corporation, aka known eventually as Kik in US/Canada registered in US 1924.
Kik Kola (Canada and US) registered for use since 1936. Trademark registered in Canada 1935?

"America Dry Company of Canada"

1722415276037.png

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Just to clarify...I erroneously used the words patent a while ago...It was in reference to a trademark registered by the ...

USPTO - United States Patent and Trademark Office

Trademark, patent, or copyright​

Trademarks, patents, and copyrights are different types of intellectual property. The USPTO grants patents and registers trademarks. The U.S. Copyright Office at the Library of Congress registers copyrights. Use the IP Identifier to learn what kind of intellectual property you have.
TrademarkPatentCopyright
What's legally protected?A word, phrase, design, or a combination that identifies your goods or services, distinguishes them from the goods or services of others, and indicates the source of your goods or services.Technical inventions, such as chemical compositions like pharmaceutical drugs, mechanical processes like complex machinery, or machine designs that are new, unique, and usable in some type of industry.Artistic, literary, or intellectually created works, such as novels, music, movies, software code, photographs, and paintings that are original and exist in a tangible medium, such as paper, canvas, film, or digital format.
What's an example?Coca-Cola® for soft drinksA new type of hybrid engineSong lyrics to “Let It Go”
from "Frozen"
What are the benefits
of federal protection?
Protects the trademark from being registered by others without permission and helps you prevent others from using a trademark that is similar to yours with related goods or services.Safeguards inventions and processes from other parties copying, making, using, or selling the invention without the inventor’s consent.Protects your exclusive right to reproduce, distribute, and perform or display the created work, and prevents other people from copying or exploiting the creation without the copyright holder’s permission.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Thank you Canadacan, I was approximating the date from the bottles that I saw in my
collecting days. 1924 is perfect! Much better than saying mid to late 20s!
In Vancouver the first plant was opened in 1919....somewhat confusing because the company had not really been formed, but yet they had standard blueprints for new plants to adhere to.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
apparently this is how Kent's Coca-Cola lost its registration to Asa Candler's Coca-Cola...he waited for confirmation of the Canadian registration before applying...missed it by that much!

Unknown.jpeg

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51