So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
RE: One more good morning

Had another good day today, got some bottles and silverplate digging. Switched again to detecto mode... Good finds...1950s vintage Pontiac chief of the sixes coin (about the size of a quarter) and then a 1907 Barber dime....1q,2d,3p... Not a bad afternoon.

nhpharm

Reaction score

I finally got out to try the inexpesive "Bounty Hunter" metal detector my wife bought me a while back. There is a place in the woods near me that I think was a hunting camp in the 1940's-1990's, but they removed it when they built our subdivision. Was suprised at how well the detector worked...found 6 quarters, 6 dimes, 2 nickels, and a few pennies as well as about 100 shell casings and a 4' segment of narrow gauge railroad rail (lord knows how that got there) in about an hour. Found a little dump too that might have a few milks or ACL's...will have to check it out (dumps in my part of Texas are hard to find close by).

MIdigger

Reaction score

Sounds like youre doing well there. Noting wrong with the BH setectors Ive used the 505 and found gold with that and the QD-2 has found a lot of coins. Had the Whites out again today 76 coins, 5q,15d,2n,54p 1 token one 45 wheat (found in the resevoir theyve drained down) a batch of fishing sinkers, 2 lures, some copper pieces, 4 returnable cans, and some other oddball stuff...oh and a kinfe but that was at the resevoir and there were 2 others detecting there, the one guy Id-ed the knife as his (before he saw it) so it was returned.

Good luck at your spot, sounds promising.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Did some digging today, (buried another 3 prong--2nd in 2 weeks) have to buy a few of them again. Got a bit of glass, 1- marble, some emerald color stoppers, more cobalts, aluminum, brass, and 7 pcs of silverplate. Then took the detector out at the resevoir again, some big sinkers, 2 pennies, a returnable can. Hit the nearby school and snagged 6q,10d,28p (one silver 63 dime) and some sort of a compass coin. Which, I first thought was a 1/2 dollar because of the size.

ironmountain

Reaction score

you get it good from both ends! digging/scratching and md'ing. You've had a great season!

npharm, nothing wrong with the BH machines. it's all about learning your MD and figuring out what it's telling you. Sounds like you're off to a great start so far! my only advice would be: dig everything. Every single signal. You'll get a feel for what the sounds your MD puts out mean and you'll find relics like crazy.

Got up to inlaws to hunt and was able to sneak out a bit. Went to the abandoned house nearby and was planning on filching through the long ravines there for bottles and such. The cans/bottles lying on top of the ground are all '30s-'40's. Most likely from hunters over the years. "back in the day" that area was heavily hunted. ended up finding some cans/bottles of the same era on the rim of this small depression.
Got down to the bottom and felt the ground was a bit soft. peeled leaves back and hand dug the soft soil about 2' down and hit a wooden liner. Traced it around with my hand and it's approx. 4'x8'. Dug down another couple of feet or so and hit wet clay.
I've been md'ing up there and have dug 4'+ in some spots and have never hit clay. so wondering if this is the original privy spot (it's down wind from the house and about 50' behind it so the location would be on par).
Got that far and had to head out to go hunt with my son. I did snag an old transmission on the way out and some headlight/tail light rings. Tranny looks like a '40s Buick tranny, although this one is a bit flatter on the bottom. Still has the main shaft in it.. Going back up on Wed. and going to have time to go dig/MD etc.. told wife this past Sunday that I wanted to run over there and get some pics before we leave and she "suggested" that it would better if I waited until this weekend. So I'll let her hunt with father in law and my two kids and I'll go dig for a bit...

MIdigger

Reaction score

Hope you get some stuff before the freeze up. Ive been out digging and detecting more. Plenty of milks, cobalts, scrap metal, marbles, and about 8-10 more silverplate spoons. Most are table spoons. Did a bit of detecting, 8q,4d,1n,and 20p. One small charm bracelet but its not silver. Really starting to get cold in the 30s with a 30-40mph wind...And now spitting snow.

Id sure like to Fastforward to Spring. Hows the hunting up there? Ive heard of only 3 people I know getting deer. The only buck was a spike my brother shot. He said there were very few hunters up by camp in Crawford Co.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Well, I got up this morning at 4am, intent to detect or dig. Looks like thats out as we have 1-1/2 inches of snow this morn. However, I did get out the last couple days, but have only got maybe $3 in clad, 1 small matchbox car, a General Jackson showboat Nashville TN lapel pin, The end of a dog leash, 1-1938 nickel, an early W.C.C. 30-06 case with the 1906 on the headstamp, and a few more silverplate spoons. One has H.H. engraved on it, a few stamped Clarks of Flint,MI., and one from a hotel chain and 1947 stamped on it.

I did meet up with another detectorist, and he had pulled a `44 merc, a 43 Washington, and an Evinrude outboard motor token,some wheats, plus some clad from the fairgrounds. He was using an Etrac. Heard those are great for finding silver. He said its been pretty good. The wind has finally stopped. Its been pretty bitter with the winds 30-40mph and the low temps.

Looking like the seasons winding down now. Unless we get an abnormal winter like last years and I can detect in Jan/Feb again. Good luck all.

hemihampton

Reaction score

Does any body use a Gold Bug Detector? LEON.

ironmountain

Reaction score

I haven't. But from what I've read on the MD forums I'm on, it's a great entry gold detector.

No chance to make it out this weekend. Got back up to the inlaws' and woke up to 6" of snow and 20mph'ish freezing wind.

We did drive deep into the woods on a very old 2 track that we usually hunt and went to the house on a small cliff overlooking lake superior. Have always wanted to snoop around as this house was built in the mid 1800's. Nothing in the small barn (more like a woodshed/storage shed) except original windows and doors. attached to the barn was a smaller addition. Turned out to be the original one holer privy. The seat area is all deteriorated so the area under the hole is exposed. Going to dig that out this winter. Also going to dig out the original privy location I found on the half-house property. Came away with an old transmission (no plate or tag so no idea what make..only a serial number/model number:1139152-1) and more head light/tail light rings.... that'll be a project for spring...

gl, hh if you get out. looks like MD'ing is done this year for me..unless this snow is a fluke and melts...

Poldigger

Reaction score
Long, long time ago... on some field... I found 5 metal containers, usually with clothes, shoes, two were with green peas and coffee, also with tools, old metal nails.

66EB4DBF04054071A21A8760EF90A425.jpg

Attachments

• 66EB4DBF04054071A21A8760EF90A425.jpg
    66EB4DBF04054071A21A8760EF90A425.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 75

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tiffani