So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ironmountain

Reaction score
That t6 is a nice machine...for a White's it's pretty slimline and light...good solid machine...best thing to do with a new detector: dig everything. makes it easier to find out what your detector is telling you.. .. GL on the farm when you can get there.... I haven't spent much time at wife's family farm/our hunting camp yet. Mostly I'm digging dumps on the farm or scouting......this spring I'm making it my mission to just MD... dig at the end of the year when it cools off... which is what I said this past year and ended up digging dumps on the farm instead.....

Rich, next time I head downstate to visit my mother/brother/sister I'm going to just follow you around...i wont bring an MD or anything to scrounge with....just walk behind you in awe and the massive amounts of stuff you find....and take notes...

nice pull Plumb..i like that half dollar and the tag/tokens...always like finding those...breaks up the monotony of finding pull tabs...

ironmountain

Reaction score
Idig- as far as detectors go, if you've never MD'd before, I'd say get a Fisher F2 or a Tesoro Compadre...preferrably the Compadre.... Up here we have massive amounts of iron in the ground and the F2 is too sensitive to really hunt unless I head up to Houghton to the inlaws where it's mostly copper and silver in the ground. The compadre is a dig and beep, but it's killer on coins and jewelry. I've always liked my Fisher, but after doing a ton of research and talking with people on forums I'm on, the Tesoro Vaquero/Tejon/Outlaw are looking nice... (have been blabbing about getting one for the past year, but wife still hasn't let me pull the trigger)... They are inexpensive but built very well and often do as well as, or better than, 1k+ machines....

The tejon is a great relic machine and is deep as heck...too sensitive for high mineralized soil like i have up here..
the Outlaw recently came out and has 3 coils, I believe...
the Vaquero is "the" all around machine from Tesoro... deep, kills on coins and jewelry and good in mineralized soil...

Tesoro also has a lifetime warranty...
Can get the Tesoro machines for under 700$..

I do love the Fisher MD's..but all of them are way too sensitive for where I'm at...Might be great for you downstate... I can barely run my F2 on 2bars of sensitivity....
If you're not afraid to spend 1k-ish and get something that's pretty much top of the line and not too difficult to learn, the Fisher F75 is a great machine...
There are quite a few vids on youtube for Fisher stuff..guy name 59silver does them...

Many ppl like Minelab... alot.... The eTrac (1400$) was their top of the line and according to many ppl "THE" top of the line...i don't like them because they are heavy and you have to swing so slowly...(friend has one he let me use...kills on silver)...you can program different settings for different conditions and you can save them to your comp. and share them with people.... Minelab now has the ctx out and that runs 2200...similar to the eTrac, except it's waterproof..

Garrett is supposedly good...their 250 is a great starter machine...i don't like it because the sounds it makes would drive me over the edge.....many people love this machine though..... the 250 and F2 from Fisher are the 2 main starters....prices range 200-400... their AT Pro is semi-new and runs 600ish..but it's waterproof up to 10' so you can use it at lakes/ponds etc...

My Fisher came with 3 coils and an extra arm for 300+... if i were starting over, I'd get the Compadre...very simple beep/dig machine, forces you to learn what a MD is telling you and people find great stuff with it...

great thread on the compadre:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=87892

Many people love the White's detectors... They're very accurate..and their top of the line is sickeningly good...

basically it boils down to what your budget is and what you're going to use it for...

Most people will tell you to get the F2/250/Compadre because they're great starter machines and are inexpensive and you won't as much money if you decide you dislike the hobby...

I'm going with a Vaquero when wife allows it..... runs under 600 bucks and does as well as a 1k Fisher...(after learning and understanding the MD)...

If you live near any MD stores, I'd go test some out....

/end verbosity

MIdigger

Reaction score
50 degrees coming guys, might get some detector time yet this week. Sure keeping my fingers crossed....since its too warm for ice fishing.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Got out this afternoon for a bit.
Rained earlier in the day, and most of the snow is gone. 3D,7P (1-1930 wheat), 1 38 cal bullet, some scrap copper pieces, and 1/2 of a silverplate spoon. Might get a chance to clean up some school yards tomorrow.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Very nice weather today, glad that at others got out to enjoy the day too!

I didn't detect, (went digging a '20s dump instead) but found precious metal anyway, heh.

In the creek I crossed to get to my spot I found a nice, 17.42 gram Sterling Silver spoon, yay! Also found a very attractive chunk of blue-green copper ore in the creek. An interesting and rewarding day.

Happy hunting everyone!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Hey all--- went out in the glorious 60 degree balmy weather. 12q,18d,1n,65p (one 42 wheat, and a 47 Canadian) 2 rings and 2 bracelets ends of copper/alum, and 1 Chuck-E-Cheese token again too. Pretty productive morning.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Forgot to add- 1 American Indian relief council medal too, from a school.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Hit one school this afternoon. 1q,4d,1n,4p, 1 earring and 1 kids ring. Then the rain moved in and its back into the 30s.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC