So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Not much to report. My detecting time was short between rainfalls. It did get up near 60, but the rain kept coming in waves. Hit some of the school yards and got 2.10 in change, 1 1964 Roosevelt silver dime, 2 common 1940 and 1946 wheats, 2 busted zippers (brass scrap), a key chain, one earring, and saw more pencils scattered all over the places. Those kids must just throw them or something.

ironmountain

Reaction score
I'm getting antsy. way too much snow and frozen ground to MD... Want to make wife or buddy take me up to the hotel creek just to poke around in the frozen ground. can't be much snow there, the canopy is pretty dense. All the foliage on the ground is dead and the 3" of creek water and mud under it should be semi-frozen. Nothing a pickaxe can't handle. I'm trying to layoff the MD forums a bit. too much envy. Guys walking in the woods swinging their MD and suddenly walking into a pile of bottles nestled against the side of a hill. Or walking with the MD or the dog near a creek and hitting a pile of bottles... winter blues already...

Going to have to dig hard (research-wise) and find a place. Cause I won't be digging up at inlaws at the one I already started. The other one way into the woods near Lake Superior would require some snowmobiling/showshoeing/xcountry skiing work. nice way to carry gear....

Seriously going through (i swear this time) all of my stuff in the basement that wife says "we don't want" to sell off. Found a bunch of insulators today that I started going through. Working on books and bottles next...should take awhile.

started pulling out some nice old pattern silver plate spoons. going to saw off the bowls and make a daughter and wife a ring. See how they turn out.
HH if you get out

MIdigger

Reaction score
Iron, I understand your frustration. Ive been waiting for another warm up. March is coming!. I too, have been doing research and found some VERY interesting facts. A couple spots Ive traced back to the 1830s. This is a spot I dug at long ago a couple counties over. Seems Iam about 250 yards within the area an old RR went through. In the 1800s the RR workers dug up a bunch of Indian remains. I also found a map from the 1840s and it depicts houses and such. I have to do more research and check some things out. According to an 1879 account, the Indians were still in this area.
Have a Mich Hist class at college and going to talk with my prof today and see what he can tell me about the area. This also tells me there has to be some OLD stuff in those areas. I just have to locate it. Ive also found some areas early bridges were located and may go detecting around them in spring. Right now the rivers are way up here and almost over the banks in places.
Ive been gathering "finds" for a rummage sale in spring to clear out some stuff and make some extra$$ for equipment; 3-prongs, a new steel rake, batteries, that kind of stuff. I have some places I am ready to detect just as soon as it warms up a bit. Good luck if you get out there.

ironmountain

Reaction score
it's good that you're doing some research and gathering stuff for the big spring sales.

I started going through a bunch of stuff I have downstairs. found a small container of insulators downstairs that I'd forgotten I have. Put some pics on the insulator thread/forum just because of some of the nice coloring and faded embossing and stuff. Nice to see something different than the same old same old.

Tonight going to attempt to start a silver plate ring for the wife. Going to take a jeweler's saw and cut the bowl off and see if I can make it not look ugly. Been working on that axehead I posed earlier too. Most of the pitting on one side is gone. Quite shiny other than those few places. Just a fun project to work on at night. Figure it's gotta be pretty old. 3' down next to a tree on the bank of a swamp. Pretty much in the middle of nowhere too.

Actually started sorting bottles to sell off. ACLs mostly. I'm noticing a trend on ebay that puzzles me. People actually buy brown Clorox jugs....what's up with that? i have about 40 of them in different sizes. I just let the wife use what she wants for deco. and the rest sit in a copper boiling pot in the basement...crazy..

Still haven't been up to inlaws since last time I dug and it was mucky. Would like to go out and see if it's semi-frozen so I can at least shovel it out!!...also to pickup some birch burl for carving. Kids are begging for dinner so time to make something easy..like French Toast...

MIdigger

Reaction score
Well the snow and Ice has me at a stand still at the moment. I have located some new area (20 acres) a friend says I can wander and there are 2 dumps known on the property. Now if it would just warm up some I can get on the area. Like to get out and start cleaning up on the coinage again.
I know where theres 4 of those clorox brown jugs sitting right now...I left them in the dump. Going to hit some antique places this week and see if they are interested in some of the many milks I have and other stuff.
Iron it seems to accumulate doesnt it? I am looking forward to the spring rummage sale and wheel some of the finds off for improvement to my "slush fund".
Anybody else getting out and finding things?

peejrey

Reaction score
Just got a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II the other day for my birthday, twas the one I picked out from kelly co, but we got a better deal on amazon.com. Very pleased with it so far, it also came with a pin-pointer and bag which was cool, the pin pointer does a good job with large items (Seeing as I have only used it once) so we will see more in the future. Took her out yesterday and found 3 various relics, though the aluminum could be considered trash. Am really loving the screen, compared to the fast tracker i had. I will have to get used to listening to the tones and discriminating on the screen versus the tone.

01AB7E5E904E4DFC905CC81C87D5766C.jpg

Really cool front on it, and since I have a jack for my headphones I will be able to use them in the field. Can't wait to get out to the old ball fields we have in our county to do some detecting!
More to come in the future!
GREAT JOB BOUNTY HUNTER!
_Preston

Attachments

• 01AB7E5E904E4DFC905CC81C87D5766C.jpg
    01AB7E5E904E4DFC905CC81C87D5766C.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 100

MIdigger

Reaction score
Cool Preston. I am waiting for the thaw. I have a new spot located and researched, I just need the ground to thaw. I hope you get on some good finds soon. Getting a new machine is always good. I have my eye on one, but its 1500. For now Ill keep using what I have. Maybe by summer I can get one. Good luck and post some finds!

peejrey

Reaction score
Someone on craigslist in my neighborhood had an old Whites Spectrum for sale for $300, I do believe they had just discontinued them. A friend of mine I chatted with said he would have taken out a loan for that one..
Must be a good machine. But I'm happy, Today's finds: 1 Large Nut, 2 nails, and what looks to be a shot gun shell end cap.

frozenmonkeyface

Reaction score
I am new to the md scene but my kids and I love it. We just have a cheap md for now but it gets us outta the house and doing something together. Between that and digging for bottles we have a blast.

Anyway, I had about 15 minutes today while I was waiting on an appt. so I decided to drive to the local lake and see how the water looked.... it was LOOOOOOWWWWWW

The geese were not too happy about me sharing their spot. haha. Anyway, I was not in the proper shoes for trudging through the mud, but I was curious!

I ended up finding two nickles (2011, 1991) a pocket knife which was not too special but I thought it was a neat little find, and bookoos of nails, fish hooks, etc.

Here are some pictures. :)

C7052767DB89440AA0C274BC1408751E.jpg

Attachments

• C7052767DB89440AA0C274BC1408751E.jpg
    C7052767DB89440AA0C274BC1408751E.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 95

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads