So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

frozenmonkeyface

Reaction score
My camera/phone wouldn't take pictures after this so I didn't get pictures of the pier I found the pocket knife under, I plan on going back though. So fun!

1AAA2B1B29774810A489917C4A3AC126.jpg

Attachments

• 1AAA2B1B29774810A489917C4A3AC126.jpg
    1AAA2B1B29774810A489917C4A3AC126.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 96

ironmountain

Reaction score
hey all! not much to report.... Rich, the handle will be carved by me and I can get the blades from Finland also from a few other companies. If I had any knowledge in smithing, I'd do it myself just for the experience. I know a local leatherworker who makes sheaths for many of the custom knifemakers. She does very nice work.

Few things...here's a pic of the ring i made for the wife. measured one of her other rings, hacksawed it off. I don't have a ring mandrel so I used a socket to form it around. Was a bit of a pain. Taped it up so I wouldn't scar it and put it in the vise (rubbered the jaws so it wouldn't cut into the plate) and commenced to rubber mallet the heck out of it. Was pretty easy to work with. Getting it almost perfectly round was a pain. I left it a bit rough on the edges (sanded though) so it had that old feeling. the piece I used for this is pretty old. over 80yrs. In one of the pics it looks like the ends meet. They don't. The smaller one is tucked under the wide part....

also snagged a cool little sake jug...i'll post pic of that...

58CE75EB5B5D4AE88C90855D1D84D942.jpg

Attachments

• 58CE75EB5B5D4AE88C90855D1D84D942.jpg
    58CE75EB5B5D4AE88C90855D1D84D942.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 89

ironmountain

Reaction score
pics of the ring... like i said, the pic where the 2 ends meet looks a bit skewed in this pic. the small part is under the wide part. the wide part actually has a bit of a bend to it. gives it a bit of a different look.

6531AC5AACC941A38139013B6D6EF05F.jpg

Attachments

• 6531AC5AACC941A38139013B6D6EF05F.jpg
    6531AC5AACC941A38139013B6D6EF05F.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 80

ironmountain

Reaction score
2nd pic..

going to make my daughter a bracelet sometime this week...take 2 handles, same size..drill holes in the ends, put silver chain through and done...

also going to make son either an Xwing fighter or a big Master Chief sculpture. Had a bunch of computer stuff lying around and started looking at upcycling. Some crazy stuff ppl make with pc parts...

Buddy and I are taking off as far as selling goes now...outside of the couple of suppliers we have now, we picked up a few more in the cutlery industry. I'm a knife junkie, so we went that route. I can get pretty much any knife one could think of. from Camillus to bark river handmade Finnish/Swedish/Pakistani knives...Leupold Optics (scopes), axes/hatchets/tomahawks, high end flashlights (who knew there were 200$ lights).
Hopefully will keep me busy. basement is starting to look like a warehouse and a vintage shop..go figure..

73D6AB7DCCAB42A9954E6C45BB4C1B10.jpg

Attachments

• 73D6AB7DCCAB42A9954E6C45BB4C1B10.jpg
    73D6AB7DCCAB42A9954E6C45BB4C1B10.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 82

MIdigger

Reaction score
Cool items. That drained swamp area looks good for poking around. Still have the frozen ground to contend with here. Walked some of the new property for dig/detect looks promising. Have to make some car repairs to the suv. Cant wait for the spring to get here and get on some new areas. Keep up the good work. Iron send me a list of items you may have knives/bow stuff or clothing may be able to help you move some of it.

ironmountain

Reaction score
sweet thanks Rich! we'sold 4 bark river knives in the last week and buddy went to pick up more today. we have a catalog coming from our supplier with all 1700 items in it...going to have to filch through that and see what's worth selling. unless someone has a special order. I'll see if I can find a list to get together.

There's a guy I met last year. he and I were chaperone for the Jazz Band Fest that both of our kids were in at Northern MIch Uni.
Saw him awhile ago, he asks me to sell some of his stuff.....
started out with a tonka toy from the 60s, the big mighty crane..and a 5gal red wing butter churn.
suddenly I get another 5emails. 1gal amber a&w syrup jug from Canada. partial label and cap.
a art deco tin picnic basket by Skotch
a party picnic jug from the 40's
made in england and in u.s.a diecast cars
a handmade ash picnic basket with the signature LB on it. made prior to the 40's.
2 bows
a heavy as heck cream can
about 20 old food tins. stuff his mother gave them from canada.
and a Mt Dew hillbilly from 65. pretty good shape. embossing is nice and clear (one area a bit faded).
he showed me the stuff they want to sell off and it's probably 1/2 of a basement full...
should be interesting.

Been going through Golden Books. wife always picks them up at goodwill when we go because she's always loved them. I made the mistake of organizing them and noticing some were from '42. then found out online that quite a few are worth 100+..so now i'm on the hunt for little golden books.
sifting through kids pokemon/yu gi oh and magic the gathering cards. made a list at one time, cant find it now...
list goes on and on... I'm thinking I might just start an etsy store for this stuff. it's all vintage and you're not paying out the butt for fees.

tis a good time to clean house and roll it over into monies.

you should be able to get out soon! our driveway was slush today and snow was still melting. problem here is the ground freezes like a rock. have to wait for the thaw...

off to do more research, have fun!

Oh..I'm making a few more things out of spoons and stuff... bracelet for daughter and a few rings for women wife works with. they couldn't believe it was made from a spoon. If you still have a bunch of plate lying around, i'd probably be inclined to lighten your load a bit if you're looking to dispense of some...

k..back to the cleaning grind

MIdigger

Reaction score
Well I will watch for any good plated stuff for you. I have 1 good spoon sitting here right now. Soon as i can dig the dump i will surely find more. If you have any knives and pics of them, bows, broadheads (not looking for high cost tips). anymore Krommer caps, Keep me posted.

This cold weather sucks. But got the suv back up and running. That damned ground hog needs to be shot..early spring...BAH..

ironmountain

Reaction score
yah..that gh needs his den filled in. crazy discovery! the fruitcake tin the guy gave me to sell for him, is old. Did some research on the stamping on the bottom and found out the company was only around from 1912-1919..the guy who ran it was supposedly the best lithographer during that era. after 1919 his co. joined with 2 others and the name was changed. it should do pretty well..

1912 - Al Bruns starts the Metal Package Company in Brooklyn. Reputed to be the best lithographer of cans in the country.
19-teens (?): Metal Package Company, Boyle Can Company (Baltimore), and Shallita Brothers (New York) form the National Can Corporation.

As far as items go, there are over 300brands I have access to. knives (folders,balisong,fixed blade,survival,hunting,kitchen) 100 or so sharpening stones/systems etc.. batons and other protection/training gear... horton crossbows, saws, axes, hatchets, tomahawks. mre's/books on survival/knife making+ packs. everything from full on backpacks for survival to pouches from 5.11 survival, rolleypolley and others. first aid kits that start with basic 30dollar kits up to 400$ field medic kits.... no broadheads though..no clothing...everything but!

wife's parents went to some meat sale and bought us 15lbs of ground sirloin, ground round, a 16lb ham and about 20pks of hot dogs....vollwerths..kind of like kogel vienna's back home...made with real normal meat vs lips and snouts. I have to go figure out what im going to do with 3lbs of ground round...thinking tacos and then a meatloaf.....

Once I run low, i'll hit you up for plate stuff I could use. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC