So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ironmountain

Reaction score
thanks guys. Just some project ideas i've found on MD boards that ppl do when it's winter and can't get out to MD/explore.
On the Masterchief head, I was going to take a big hunk out of a copper boiler I have and shine it up (since his face shield is yellowish/copper color) and then just build the helmet around that with pcb boards and other misc parts from computers I've started ripping apart (didn't realize i had so many dead pcs lying around).
It's a tossup between MC helmet and the Helmet from Skyrim. No idea how I'd do the horns though. Corrugated spouts from old gas cans and expand them at the base maybe...still working that one out....

Oh..I did find a great recipe for homemade laundry detergent. A variation of this recipe is posted all over the net. Wanted to try it. I do a ton of laundry (4 of us, workout clothes, gym clothes, soccer, martial arts, basketball clothes) and wanted to try something different. So far it works very well. no sudsing, good for HE washers, doesn't clump and actually cleans better than stuff wife was buying.

1 large box of Borax
1 lg box of Baking Soda
1lg box of Washing Soda
3lbs of Oxyclean
3 bars fels-naptha (some ppl use Ivory or Castille or Zote)

by large box, I mean the 3 or 4lb box. In the laundry aisle. sometimes the fels-naptha is in the soap aisle. (bought it all from Walmart except the oxy stuff. dollar store had 1lb tubs...good storage tubs.)

grate the fels-naptha. (It'll dry enough if you leave it out on a paper plate overnight. Makes it easier to grate. Or you can nuke all 3bars for roughly 3min and after they get all poofy you can pretty much crumble by hand. Or ruin your food processor.)

toss in the rest of the stuff, mix well...

I put a trash bag within a trash bag. filled the inner one with the mixture, tied it tightly. tied the 2nd bag and then proceeded to toss it around the basement.

Some ppl also buy the Gain Crystals and a Downy Ball. Or a bottle of essential oil and put some into the mix. make it smell more like laundry. the "normal" way, it smells like clean clothes and that's it.

costs roughly 20-25$ and does 504 loads. 1tbsp for a light load. 2tbsp for a heavier/larger load.

snow had been melting the past few days. sadly its snowing again. supposed to get 5" or so today.

gl/hh if you get out

MIdigger

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips Iron. Also glad some others are getting finds. Back from the trip to KY. Hard to leave wearing shorts and was 76 degrees. Back to the snow/ice and cold. I didnt find a lot detecting (they posted some of the parks we did last year--no detecting) But I did come away with $5.36 in coinage. Not much--but, it was nice not having to use a claw hammer to extract the coins from the frozen ground.

Hit some places to see (Lincoln birth place, Ft knox and the like)... Brother saves $$ with the Mil/discounts. Was nice down there. The brothers and my B-I-L did the golf thing whilst I did the detecting. Didnt get a chance to hit any flea markets, or the LCS this time. May get to go back down in a couple months. Back to college today. Good luck everyone.

ironmountain

Reaction score
Nice that you were able to get down there to visit and get some sun and some time for detecting. welcome back to the weird weather.
Not sure spring has made up her mind yet. snowing like crazy one day, melting the next. over and over.

Still filching through all of my "stuff" downstairs, working on the genealogy stuff and figuring out upcycle projects.

the selling is going well. We're looking for a brick/mortar store. something small. Friend's brother owns a take-out pasta restaurant (everything is homemade..just nowhere to sit and eat) and he's a coin freak and has a small coin shop. His shop is getting too small so we're going to go in together and get a place.
Nobody within 70miles sells what we have access too...Bark River Knives are 50-60miles away and they sell their own merch.
we're selling between 3-4 BRK per day. at 180-250/pc that adds up.

GL if you get out this week (you're hardcore using a hammer to bust up the ground!).

MIdigger

Reaction score
Looks like 40+ later this week, which may finally losen the ice grip so I can detect here by the weekend. Plenty of places --if only the weather co-operates. Still have to send you my list off things of interest you may have.

ironmountain

Reaction score
finally some nice weather! supposed to be 40's everyday...until snow on Sunday. Hopefully it'll melt right away. Not much doin'. still cleaning out stuff...I should just stop. I keep finding things I forgot I have. Found an old cheese crock wife has had forever. It made it through the fire at her parents house and is 1/2 full of coins and tokens and an old Kamp King pocket knife.

Wandered into this nice consignment shop a cpl weeks ago after a therapy appt. Started talking to the owner and spent quite awhile gabbing in there. Her prices are way low. almost too low. I showed her a few things that she had way underpriced. like 4.00 for something that averages 100ish.

She has two sweet pencil drawings that I want. From Italy. A now elderly couple (mid-late 80's) went there when they were young and bought these from an artist who had just finished them. She said she'd put them on sale for 50% off for me. wife said she likes them too..maybe get the hookup. She also has a litho of Song of The Lark by Jules Breton. Here are pics...

00FAEBFDFFFC4F848DAE83EFB7190B91.jpg

Attachments

• 00FAEBFDFFFC4F848DAE83EFB7190B91.jpg
    00FAEBFDFFFC4F848DAE83EFB7190B91.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 81

Plumbata

Reaction score
My jacked-up knee recovered enough to do some quick detecting yesterday. Played around with the sensitivity and found a minuscule watch gear and tiny scraps of sheet copper (amazing I spotted the things at all) at 5-6 inches so if seems to work well enough. Total of 46 cents, no old coins, but found a rather large but ate-up aluminum token from either the 1893 Columbian Exposition or 1904 World's Fair. Hard to tell as it is so corroded. Rang up as a half and was deep so I was hoping for something better. Did score a small, 2.34 gram sterling and turquoise ring so I was satisfied. Happy hunting people.

Bottleworm

Reaction score
The other day my Dad and I hit an old homesite. I found a 1942 D mercury dime, 1897 Indian, 1906 V nickel, 2 tokens, and 6 wheats. My dad found 3 wheats and a token. Then Yesterday we went back to the same place and dad found a 1943 P war nickel and I found a 1941 wheaty. This yard is very trashy. They don't make a coil small enough to pick through all the trash in this yard. Only after 2 times we are about done with this yard. 2 trips there and a total of about 6 hours have all the good tones gone. Now it's time for the junk and the nickels.

Also the other day I found a 1942 wheat penny in my backyard.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Glad you all are finding some neat stuff. I did a local town and found a copper connecting piece that weighs 2-3lbs (scrap $$) a brass valve (looks early 1900s--I have to find it to research it, its from an Ohio company). I also came away with just $2.80 in change, and a small silver ring, plus 12 brass tokens. Still dealing with some frozen ground, but its slowly melting off. I saw the 1st woodchuck today (dead on the side of the road no less) a sure sign of spring!!...
Hoping to get back out next weekend, but about the same weather. Its sure been a LONG winter. I did have a friend give me a beautiful 1945-S uncirculated war nickle. Put that away in the collection.
Keep posting the finds!! Iron thats some interesting stuff you posted. Might be making a camping trip up your way this summer to explore the U.P. again. Good luck everyone!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC