So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ironmountain

Reaction score
nice finds everyone!!! i'm still living vicariously through all of you. snow was melting nicely and i was all set to throw on my wellingtons to hit the creekbed now that the ground wasn't as hard as concrete. Woke up saturday and was going to ask the wife to haul me to the creekbed so I could poke around and dig for a few hrs and it was snowing. We ended up with 4-5" of that heavy wet stuff..then it froze..now we have snow... hopefully the warm weather that started today will continue. Til then, keep the finds coming guys...need some digging/md excitement...

I might hook all three of those pieces up for free. Went to talk to her the other day again and she saw the bracelet I had made for daughter. She told me she'd pay me well if I made one for her. I told her I couldn't charge someone I know. She pulled the 3 pieces behind the counter and said when you bring one to me, we'll trade.... so I'm going to start tonight and have one finished by Wed when I get on that side of town again.

Still cleaning out boxes and such. I have 2 4' stacks of books next to me right now...wife not liking that either...

MIdigger

Reaction score
Went wandering the area looking for possible metal detecting spots. Came away with a couple Pepsi 10oz bottles (1960s) and a 1950s vintage Coke from Cheyenne WY (how that got left in the woods here in MI is a mystery). Also found a used but good shape Lufkin 25ft measuring tape someone dropped. Also a dead doe carcass, a bunch of scrap aluminum, 3 Fresca bottles, and a sort of pump house foundation. Has some 4-5 inch pipes in the woods near a stream. Large trees have overgrown the area so I will detect that spot good.

Hoping to get out tomorrow through Monday and get some goods. Good luck everyone!!

ironmountain

Reaction score
Rich, you are the Sanford & Son of Michigan. And I mean that in a jealous kind of way!

Nice that you were able to get out and get some goodies. Snow is melting pretty quickly around here finally. It's been 40's-50's lately. won't be long before I'm out doing fun stuff.
the business thing is like a snowball it's building so quickly. Stuff is selling like crazy. So alot of shipping/texts/emails. had a guy buy 3 knives last week (all Bark River's) and wanted pricing on quite a few this week for his next "bulk" order. I almost wet myself. Those run 175-350 each. I told him that a bulk order means a gross.. he lol'd.

daughter and her overnight friend need attending to... gl tomorrow

MIdigger

Reaction score
Well, the Sultan of scrounge never sleeps! Ive found maybe $3 in change and 2 necklace pieces (found 2 of the gold dollars Sac`s) one yesterday, one today and some loose change. 1 1941 wheat cent was the oldest. Did a bit of scratching and got a few copper pcs of scrap and a couple of milks and the requiset silverplate --2 spoons (milks were Creamline, and a Spagues both Flint). My Grandfather used to work at Creamline.
It actually snowed this am, and was windy but I decided to go outside anyways. Think I may go tomorrow too. Hope to have something to report tomorrow. GL everyone.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Went out for a bit today. Only a few pennies, and a copper pc stamped Frigidaire (think its from a refrigerator/freezer, its got a bit of heft and is copper. However, the cool find was an 3 inch (approx) stamped coin. It almost looked like the top of a tin can, except its heavy (and gray in color) and had writing on it. It reads: Souvenir new home of Industrial savings bank 1923 Flint Michigan. The reverse has a picture of the bank, and Industrial savings bank Flint Michigan. I saw a couple similar on the net but no prices.
Nothing spectacular, but a piece of history no less (and 90 years old).

Bottleworm

Reaction score
My Dad and I went to an old Boy Scout Camp. I had a pretty good day first coin of the day was a 1956 D silver dime. Good start. Then I found a spoon, a fork, some junk, a token or something, and a couple of wheat pennies. Then right in the middle of the rose bushes I got a 1936 D Mercury dime, and the bushes put up a fight. My dad ended up getting a wheat penny, a spoon, a pocket knife, and a Boy scout slide. Nine coins and five of them old I would say pretty good for 4 1/2 stomping around in the woods.

ironmountain

Reaction score
wow bottle...nice haul..were you finding a ton of junk, or was it pretty decent? what kind of shape was the knife in?
found a scout knife under a tree in neighbor's yard. was a cpl of feet down. figured kid was swinging in the tree and lost it. it's in crumbly shape.

excited now to get up to the one near the farm up north. in a weird spot. huge open field (10acres or so) with a two track that leads into the woods to the camp. Camp seems to be in the middle of nowhere...should be an interesting place. Luckily, father in law's cousin owns it. Permission granted.

keep us posted on what you find there!

Bottleworm

Reaction score
Our club says this place is hunted out. I didn't even go off the beaten path and found these. As far as junk goes it's not bad in places where everybody detects but get off the beaten path and then when you find junk you find the goods, so yes there is junk. The pocket knife's blade is rusted as all are usually but the handle is in fine condition.

And as far as hunting there it has been hunted literally millions of times and we only go to it about once a year because when spring and summer comes it is really grown up with weeds and crap and then there are no more productive places to hunt.

MIdigger

Reaction score
BW glad to see youre getting some things. After the flooding and rain here, I got out a bit yesterday. 10 dimes and 15 pennies was all I dug up. Nothing old, but found something!!. I also went to my first rummage sale of the year. Got a few odds and ends. Good luck if you get a chance to get out.

ironmountain

Reaction score
sounds like decent weather south of here... we had almost 8" of snow this past Friday. Went from 40's and snow melting nicely on wed, to pretty much the entire UP shutting down. we ended up with over 6" of snow over night..from 10pm til 5am when I woke up. It was almost all melted by dinnertime. Today was decent weather, but very windy. Weird wind. Normally comes from the North off the small lake and makes our driveway a corridor of bitterness. Today it came from the south and was kind enough to peel 1/4 of the roof of the garage up. it's a late 1800's, very early 1900's carriage garage... at least I know the wood underneath is still clean and new looking. Was fun standing on a ladder slapping tar on there and re-felting and nailing....

wife said it was 65ish down toward your area Rich. She's downstate for a cpl of days to see some of the kids in foster care she supervises.

I found a few nice treats in my bookcase...I decided to clean the spare bedroom. Otherwise known as the "wife and daughter throw stuff in there and shut the door so as not to see it". Happened to start organizing the books i have in there and found quite a few first editions i might have to sell...
who knew that some of the old seuss beginner books fetched so well....quite a few first editions that surprisingly do well.....i have copies of most of them, might sell them off to fund the new detector and a tablet...

here are a few of my son's Legos that I helped him pack away. (his room was getting too full..these are mostly Bionicles..some sets..)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC