So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BellwoodBoys

Reaction score
I got my new metal detector today! Its a whites prism 6t. Spent all day detecting my yard and only came up with some scrap metal. I'm planning to detect a farm field and house tommarow that dates back to the 1850's. Hopefully I find some coins and other older stuff.

Plumbata

Reaction score
G'luck detecting that old farm!

Here's a rather late pic of the haul from my last decent hunt. Everything is frozen now so no more detecting for a while. Thankfully I can still go bottle digging in a dump that is rather well-suited for winter digging. Got a handful of milks from there a few days ago.

406003_10102140344923430_880447231_n.jpg

MIdigger

Reaction score
BB- good luck with your detecting. Take your time, it usually pays off. Cant wait for spring to get back. The snow is rather depressing. Not to mention I found 2 new locations to dig.

Plumb nice batch and that Franklins awful nice! Cant do a whole lot other than woodchip areas as its freezing up. Went to the LCS and dug through the 90%. Got some nice coins in there from time to time. Nice `62 Washington T-2 Rev, and a beautiful `45-S walker the other day. Plenty of Mercs and Roosev in AU or better, too. Coin shops get the stuff cheap, so I get some great deals. Sure they pull the "best" or keys out, but there arent many "collectors" buying, just people buying for bullion. Mainly zero in on the best grades, varieties, and always nice S mints.

Keep up the picture posting, Good luck, Rich

ironmountain

Reaction score
I saw your post NY...nice job!.. a nice cache is a MD dream....

Got up to inlaws this past week. They had less snow than we do. Maybe 6" on the ground. was bitter cold though. Got out to the 1/2 house. Not good for pulling parts...didn't feel like digging the snow up. started digging the hole there...alot of water and muck.. did find some mid 40's sodas and shards about 1' down...so promising... soil does get more firm a cpl feet down. wanted to see if i could hit bottom of the hole so i put my spade against the wall and sunk it. Got to my hands and still no bottom, but the wall was still there..hopefully a good sign....

posted this pic on the general forum..i'm posting it here because it's too amazing.... wife and i were driving in town one day and saw this and were so mezmerized by it we didn't have time to take a pic. guy riding toward us on his bike with a deer slung over his shoulders.... wife's friend got a pic of him and sent it to us. during the summer this guy has a log on his shoulder and walks around town with it..supposedly to train for strongman comps....i've trained ppl for strongman comps and i've been powerlifting for years....not even a semi-decent way to train for them.... k.. the pic... not photoshopped, not pulled from the net etc... right down carpenter ave in iron mountain....

0B8A7F5B32E94B77892066E7B2C3FAC6.jpg

Attachments

• 0B8A7F5B32E94B77892066E7B2C3FAC6.jpg
    0B8A7F5B32E94B77892066E7B2C3FAC6.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 95

MIdigger

Reaction score
Iron, now that just screams (Redneck/Yooper).. I was looking for the gun scabbard and the old beat up Winchester 94 in 30-30 attached with bailing wire to the bike frame!. Last time I saw something like that on a bike was Syracuse,NY back in 2000. Was driving off the X-way to get gas, some guy rode by on a bike, had a platform on the back and 2 LARGE garbage bags full of pop cans and bottles secured. The "rig" looked as wide as a jeep. Now that guy and a deer? I must admit I laughed hysterically. Only in Michigan...Iam only surprised he didnt have a dog sled team drag it out.
We have a 40 degree warm up forecast by the weekend. If so, I may get a chance to detect a bit. Dont expect to find much but will hit some of the old spots. Have 2 new spots for digging but waiting til Spring. Waiting to see what else you pull from your "salvage yard scrounging up there. Keep posting the pics, and good luck.
I wonder if BB got out yet and found anything?

BellwoodBoys

Reaction score
Theres still snow on the ground so I didnt go yet.

On the other hand I detected the beach this weekend and came up with $4 worth of quarters/dimes/nickles/pennies and found an earring.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Hey Rob, maybe I could hire you to help find the nose ring my niece Roxanna lost in her shag rug?

idigjars

Reaction score
Hey Iron, that's hilarious, thank you for sharing it with us.

Plumb, what kind of detector do you have?

Others, what brand of detector do you recommend and why? Are the higher dollar detectors really worth the extra money? Over $1k? Thanks & best regards to all. Paul :)

MIdigger

Reaction score
Theres a lot of detectors out there. I have Bounty Hunters, Garretts, Whites. The BH (mod 505-cost 130 BOGO sale)I found the 14kt ring with so you cant say the lower cost ones dont find good stuff. I primarily use a Whites MXT-Pro (about $800) and have found (last year)over 3000 coins, numerous rings,tokens,necklaces,fishing lures all kinds of stuff. I think many will say its knowing your machine. My last good find was a 1907 Barber dime in Nov. The Garretts AT pro is a nice machine ($590) and the being waterproof is a nice feature.
Ive talked with others and people like the E-tracks, Tesoros (Iron likes those). Minelabs and Fishers are good too. As far as my opinion, I just tell people to not go "tech overboard".. I mean some of the machines, youd need a computer tech degree. Even my Whites has features I dont use. (relic/and all the whizbang stuff) I have a few settings I like, and probably for 99% of my detecting, I never change them.
Now, I will freely admit the parking lots or playgrounds (were talking ones being currently used say 20-25yrs old) I love that 505 bounty hunter. It swings fast, is rather light and finds the "stuff". I got that one when I bought one of the others. It was only $130 or so when I got it with the more expensive unit at reduced cost.
Digging tools would vary with what soil you will encounter. I do a lot of crushed concrete lots and in summer (winter too) I need a pick to dig through it. Some may scoff at that and say why bother...my answer? 1920s Std lib qtr,Barber/merc dimes,silver jewelry,$1 coins,1944 Wash qtr,... sure not every coin will be silver. but again one never knows until they dig it up. So I usually have a small pick (a small hammer will do in a pinch--just get a more straight claw instead of rounded claw. I use a steel paint scraper to for scratching, and a Home Depot purchased trowel. It has one side serrated and Ive used it for 3 years. Which is an amazing long time--Ive lost over a dozen 3 prongs while bottle digging, in that time.
Hopefully some of the other guys will chime in. I guess if I had the extra money Id snag an E-trac this year, or a Fisher F-70. Curiously, I await this years new models and like to see what the new offerings are. Good luck.

Oh, and CD those noserings--good grief. I had a girl sit next to me in college last fall with one. One day, I just couldnt hold back--I politely asked Why? she said well--theyre cool...I just shook my head and smiled- Ok, I said. I have 2 tattoos so I couldnt be too hard on the young one. Although i told my daughter if she ever came home with one of those things, or any kid wanting to date her id rip it out with pliers..so never had a problem with that.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC