I Think I Caught Something Good

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlebugs

Reaction score
I was trolling FeeBay before the shipping gets anymore outrageous. Bottle bugged. Looking for a USA Pepsi Pat 41 bottle to display labels with. This caught my eye. The condition was excellent as was the label. Two things. Almost no gradient on the red, Like it was half way between the 30s label and the 40s red white and blue. Theres also no dealer privilege, just 12 OUNCES at the base of the label. The bottle has a ridge above the lower label like ACL versions and stipples on the neck like I've never seen before. Almost as if it was a display bottle at one time.

Opinions please. If I was ripped off I deserve it.

1) Typical early 30s label 2)Typical Mid-late 30s 3) Typical Early 40s
4) Typical Mid 40s

Unknown-3.jpeg
1)
Unknown.jpeg
2)
Unknown-2.jpeg
3)
Unknown-1.jpeg
4)

This label looks somewhere between 2) and 3) but slightly smaller like 1)

I like it. Its on its way!

Screen Shot 2024-08-01 at 2.29.42 PM.png

Attachments

• Unknown-3.jpeg
    Unknown-3.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Its a head scratcher. I looked at as many variations as I could stand and this
one looks exactly like the 1940 patent bottle. 1940-1941 would be pre war US
1942 -1945 were the red white and blue.

page1image1903757744

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
This one looks pretty suspicious to me. I had a look at the seller's other listings and that didn't make me any less suspicious. There are a lot of very different labels on very similar bottles on there, and most of the Pepsi bottles have the same unusual neck label. I think one of the other labels is a fake too, this Coke label https://www.ebay.com/itm/2668051757...GSKYNY&hash=item3e1ed3e5d1:g:QekAAOSwCH5mPVcw seems to be a bad reproduction of this label (probably also a NOS label on an unrelated bottle) https://www.ebay.com/itm/2261383817...WHEFNC&hash=item34a6e5ddb3:g:fYcAAOSwVqRmPWK7

Most of the labels look like they're likely at least real NOS, rather than the obvious fakes that I see selling in the $100 range all the time on Ebay.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
LOL I did the same thing. I have seen this label badly reproduced on stock white paper years ago. It was copied from something no doubt.
All their labels look like NOS, but this one seems to have some age. It's foxing around the edges and the glue is consistently dark on the back.
You can make out a touch of gradient on the corners but very subtle.
The bottle works for me if the label's a fake because I can still use it to display 1940s labels. It wasn't priced any cheaper than other 1940s in the same condition. Very odd is the band above the label and the size
of the label. I checked and the bottle has no ACL or small grab holes on the base for applying ACL. My gut tells me this is a period piece but I
am expecting this to be a fake.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
I went to Montreal years ago to pick up a paper label KIK only to
examine it with a jewellers loup when I got home. It was pixilated.
I called the vendor and he gave me my money back and then told me
to keep the bottle as it wasn't worth the shipping. Maybe this vendor
will be just as kind.

I was able to find a real NOS KIK label and keep it in a plexiglass bill
case standing up against the original bottle that was gifted to me
all those years ago. Looks like museum quality. That label has been
thoroughly examined and it has the same foxing and smells like old
paper.

Last edited:

bottlebugs

Reaction score
I did notice however, that all the other vendors bottle had the wrong neck bands, supporting your observation. This one didn't have one. I wonder why? I suspect the neck band was no different than the one pictured below. Third from the right. These look original and not NOS but jeez who can tell these days. Notice that the label is only black and red, and there is no gradient on the corners. In advertisements it was quickly replaced with the 4th one from the right. I could probably get away with using the 4th one in display, especially if this label turns out to be authentic.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

bottlebugs

Reaction score
I use plexi bill holders and stand them up against the bottle where the label would be...
its a work in progress...I want to see if I can curve the display sleeve under light heat like the old hockey sticks we got as kids

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51