Suspected Salesman's Sample

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Haven't seen the new one yet...I was surprised to find this one from 2015..thats new to me!
Seeing as they were in Disney World on a dark and stormy night...

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Getting ready to go out for some cat sitting whilst the kids are away in Florida...had a quick
look at my label and bottle...I am puzzling over this thing even now...but I had a hunch, and
my hunches are usually right! Must be the gypsy blood. :)

The bottle was made in 1951. That's the year they redesigned the logo. They had also been using
swirl labels for nearly ten years. For reasons unknown, they stuck with the swirl for almost another
ten years, and when they did change everything, they still showed the swirl in the neck label
for another year or so. In 1953 they tried to launch the pink bottle, but it was a disaster. I'll
bet it was an expensive disaster. From design to glass blower and test marketing the bottle,
it must have cost a pretty penny just to dump it. A strikingly similar bottle ended up in the UK
and was ditched there too.

The label on my weirdo bottle has the hallmarks (too much late night tv I think) of a head
office origin with no dealer privilege and a corporate version of the 1941 design. I am getting
the tingly sense that they had a ton of these hanging around to monkey with. It certainly
would have much cheaper to slap their ideas on a pseudo label rather than hire a designer,
a bottler blower and an ACL processor just to toss ideas around.

The gradient looks like it was evened out like the 1943 paper label. Were subtle changes made
that could be applied to an existing stock of paper label bottles fresh from the LGW factory?

hybrid43pepsi.jpg
1722880502457.png

Remember what I said about retro marketing and simplification. A return to a cheaper, two
colour label was decided on around 1952. This may have inspired the actual change for 1952.
The pink bottle suddenly appeared and then disappeared in 1953.Corporate was clearly not
satisfied with their decision. Spitballing is fun! It's only a theory until its disproven: Ask Darwin!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51