So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
RE: One more good morning

That 505 works great that I have and it swings quick in parking lots. Its lighter than the MXT-pro I have. The 503 is a good machine too. I have an old BH QD2 I still use a few times. Cant wait to hear about the finds you get there.

ironmountain

Reaction score

peej.... depending upon your budget there are many detectors that are great out there. The Tesoro Compadre is the best MD out there for under 200 bucks.. it's good on coins and it kills on gold. spend the 170 for it, 100ish for a Garrett ProPointer and you'll be in heaven. Also, it has a lifetime warranty, made in the US and holds its value very well... the next step up would be a fisher f2 or garrett 250.... you can get an f2 pkg with 3 coils and a bag and a pinpointer for 300 or less. I have one now. Trying to get wife to let me upgrade to a Tesoro Vaquero.

Dig...got out a bit this week at the farm. The rain kind of put a squash on it. Dug the 2nd half of the dump daughter and I dug last fall and found the milks and semi-rare sodas. Didn't find much. Some old steel beer and soda cans, a few gallon oil cans and some other misc oil/gas related containers i'm going to cleanup when i get home....

we did find an old horn. father in law said it looks like the one on his father's model a/t that used to be in the woods. not sure yet. going to have to do more research on it. I did find a double bit axehead. I was all nuts because it kept ringing up as copper. solid signal. daughter went psycho on digging it out and it's just a normal old double. A few small pieces of copper inside of mine rock and that's it. only spent 20mins or so detecting.

I did find the 2nd oldest privy on the farm. Was right behind the woodshed like MIL said it was. the woodshed is made of 1/2 cut logs. On the back there is a 4' wide shiny spot where it looks like something had sat up against it for years. The wood looks new compared to the weathered other stuff. Started digging there and about 2' down found a 1/2 round, 4" or so cedar log. Found another one under that and a 3rd one. Turned around and dug the same thing about 4' away. So I'm thinking I'm digging right in the middle of the privy hole. Only about 4' down and finding stuff from 30-40's. Was going to head back there today and dig some more but it got ugly out and a bit on the wet side. I'll get pics when I get out there tomorrow.

I also did a ton of research on google maps and bing and found where the original house actually sat. you can see an old driveway (light colored path going into the property from the road) and see where it veers left into a small lot of trees that has a large opening in them. North of the house is a small path that leads to the east to a small clearing surrounded by trees. and north of that is the old garden and the ploughed rows. These are all grown over. My next area of discovery once i get this privy dug out. Kind of excited now that i have a good direction to head.

I had some light shed on the place buddy and i are digging. I spent about 4hrs last night online doing research and found some pics of the street it's on back from turn of the century. saw a lumber store and across the street is a house, the commons bldg and then the hotel where we're digging. Well the spot we're digging is between the hotel and commons. Found 3 pics from same angles with it. so we're in the right spot. Found a pic that showed a bunkhouse behind the hotel. Which looks like the spot we found the old junk pile in. We're going there next weekend with some brush saws/chain saws to cut into it. I stepped on some old stamped tin, like the old ceiling pieces. Would be nice if that's the remains of the bunkhouse.

Wish the rain would stop. Gets sunny out then bam..black clouds and downpour. then sunny and downpour again...getting ridiculous.

One last thing....today is verbose day.... my digging buddy's friend's wife has over 23 large boxes full of baseball cards dating back to forever ago. She'd been talking about having us liquidate them etc for her. Finally she called buddy and wants him to start doing it box buy box. So will probably have something to keep busy with...

HH if you get out. I'll get pics tomorrow when I get a chance to be non-rained on...

riverdiver

Reaction score

Hi Guys,

I finally got out and did some diving, no detector though as it is in the shop gettin overhauled after 15 years of hard use. I did score a 1953 rosy while diggin for glass and some of my usual goodies like pipes and marbles and a busted ring.

963F44C3404640AE9167D0B29053A113.jpg

Attachments

• 963F44C3404640AE9167D0B29053A113.jpg
    963F44C3404640AE9167D0B29053A113.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 78

ironmountain

Reaction score

those pipes are so cool. guess some borkum riff and a swim was a relaxing way to spend the day!

MIdigger

Reaction score

Nice Rd. Those pipes are interesting. Any idea how old they may be? Nice find on the silver too. I wonder about those 2 marbles with the red in them if theyre those Akro blood marbles. I really need to buy a guide on those. Just keep accumulating them in a Mason jar.

Iron, I hope you get some good finds out of your dig. Its supposed to cool down a bit. I may do some digging in the very early morning tomorrow. The maint guys have some asphalt they have marked for removal--hoping to scan the area with detector. Its near the spot Ive pulled the wheats from lately, and the wheats have been circa 1919-1941. I also have a spot they are doing some major renovations near some ballfields and plan to hit that area this weekend when the construction guys arent working.

Keep up the good finds, good luck.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Cleaned up this weekend!! 153 coins total 21q,32d,6n,94p for $9.69. 4 rings sterling and 1 not yet identified, 4 pendants sterling St Christopher and a smaller sterling looks like a chevron, 2 others look like kids pcs. And 1 1951 nickel and a 1952 wheat although they arent worth anything. Looks like a few of those playgrounds were not hit by anyone.

ironmountain

Reaction score

nice finds Dig... that's alot of coinage. your back must hurt. Nice find on the jewelry too. You found some nice untouched sites.

Spent the week at the inlaws. Was t-stormy for a cpl of the days, normal rain one of the days and nice for the other 2.

Got to the farm and started digging the privy that I was told was the older of the 2 visible ones. Father in law asks why the heck I'm digging there when the older one is the one I had already started on at the end of last fall.... backfilled the privy I was digging and decided to hit the dump we'd only dug 1/2 of.
Found some brown krinkly Orange Crush bottles from Marquette Bottling and quite a few old automotive product bottles/cans. Going to clean them up a bit (quite a bit of rust, but no holes/worn through) then I'll post some pics. Found an old Hi Sparton horn. That was about it. The black flies got to me before I could even get a good start. Metal detected a bit that day. Figured being in the woods with the wind blowing would keep the flies off of me. Not so. Father in law caught up with me and said the back of my sweatshirt was black with them. (they really do get that bad up here).

Few pics of the dumps/holes... the newer privy hole. Wondered why the cedar lining in the walls looked so nice and clean.

3F5E583FB6EA4BA98CB43C748BA0CCBA.jpg

Attachments

• 3F5E583FB6EA4BA98CB43C748BA0CCBA.jpg
    3F5E583FB6EA4BA98CB43C748BA0CCBA.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 82

ironmountain

Reaction score

the "older" privy that daughter and I started digging late last fall....

spoke with wife's 86 year old grandmother and I was right about the original house/privy area. She said it's to the north a bit of the location of the old house. When I'm up there with more time I'm going to make that my focus...(besides MD'ing for more copper)

2C680CB1F5444EC897E879130261706E.jpg

Attachments

• 2C680CB1F5444EC897E879130261706E.jpg
    2C680CB1F5444EC897E879130261706E.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 83

ironmountain

Reaction score

dump 20yds from the house along the edge of the yard.. there's another one close to that dump that was actually a start of a well. 24ish feet deep and ended up being a dump. Didn't hit water. Father in law said it's full of nothing but bottles and stuff...

Ended up 4' down on the front half of this dump last year.

52DF4300190C46039F372E2BA74792C3.jpg

Attachments

• 52DF4300190C46039F372E2BA74792C3.jpg
    52DF4300190C46039F372E2BA74792C3.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 76

MIdigger

Reaction score

Iron i hope you find something there. It looks promising. Its supposed to go into the 40s tonight so im going to dig tomorrow and see whats there. I hit the fairgrounds where the horse show was and campers........I got hosed today. Did good for a few days and not much today. not 1 coin, but 1 silverplate fork and spoon....and a few pcs of odd metals. The only good things--2 returnables. I guess we all have zero days.

Going to get my digging gear all organized and loaded for tomorrow and take the shaker/sift box I made. Ive found silver and other coins,rings and other smalls with it, maybe Ill get lucky tomorrow too.

Couldve used a sweatshirt today...the winds kinda brisk. Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Gunnels