So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ironmountain

Reaction score
RE: One more good morning

Dig...sounds like the weather here. Only supposed to hit high 60's low 70's tomorrow. I can't believe you got semi-skunked after campers and horse show. No coins at the inlaws (not that I expected any being an old farm full of stuff). A couple old license plates rusted through, the stuff I mentioned above and some misc costume jewelry. Go figure on the jewelry. Nothing of value. It was pretty beaten up.

daughter has soccer practice tonight at the field next to the barn with the tunnel entrance in it. going to snoop around there for a bit and see what I can find.
Good luck digging!! sifter is a great idea. never know what you're going to find.

Did some more research on the spot friend and I were digging and were told there were bottles blah blah....

here's a pic of a house, commons and then the hotel on the left..lumber store on the right...

68CFAFA2072847A59A79021A127F8B85.jpg

Attachments

• 68CFAFA2072847A59A79021A127F8B85.jpg
    68CFAFA2072847A59A79021A127F8B85.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 80

ironmountain

Reaction score

this pic of the bicyclists and the placement of the lumber store, would probably put them on the dirt road next to the house in the first pic.

D678DA27DB99455EBE380A0B6260C29B.jpg

Attachments

• D678DA27DB99455EBE380A0B6260C29B.jpg
    D678DA27DB99455EBE380A0B6260C29B.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 76

ironmountain

Reaction score

this last pic is a pic of the bunkhouse directly behind the hotel... all of these roads are now defunct and grown over. The house in the first pic is gone and is now a small house and the lot is all grass. The commons bldg is where the people who are letting us dig live. They have a nice hunk of land and a smaller ranch house. The highway (m95) runs right in front of where the hotel would have sat. We walk up the grown over driveway to the site. Looks like what used to be the main street is now M95. The town was moved at a later date about 1-2miles south near the lumber yards.
The dump/junkyard we saw through the scrub is in the right spot for this bunkhouse. Would be nice if it were the remnants of it...will know this weekend when we go in with waders and dig.

Kind of neat in the first two pics how the area had changed. The covered steps going upstairs, the poles.
71F6D3F4AEEB4BE885E2AD328B727CF9.jpg

Attachments

• 71F6D3F4AEEB4BE885E2AD328B727CF9.jpg
    71F6D3F4AEEB4BE885E2AD328B727CF9.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 74

MIdigger

Reaction score

Interesting pics. Love the old stuff. You know theres got to be some $$ around Its just finding it. Hope you get some good finds there. Good luck poking around.

Iam hoping I get more than silverplate tomorrow, but it adds up $$. I was suprized to get hosed today in that area as it was 2 days and lots of people but the 2 days before were good. Some big events coming up and probably make up for the "off" day. Good luck!

ironmountain

Reaction score

yah..you'll more than make up for the almost skunk.

I'm thinking I might start finding a way to collect all of the aluminum cans we find at the dumps at the inlaws. smash em up and bag them. There's a recycler in town that pays per lb. still need a glass recycler. My friend and I would have to take quite a few trips in his box truck to haul all of the glass out of there...even if it's crushed. I'll take the time to pick through it all. get the kids and nephews and nieces together and split it with them.

I"m being lazy. I still have to list acls i'm getting rid of. And books. Gotta make room for these incoming baseball cards. FIL has some in the attic of the farm. No idea how old but I know he collected when he was a kid and he's almost 64. MIL keeps telling me to take them, he's still a bit hesitant.

riddle me this batman: why the heck are 1980's schwinns selling so well? Bikes I had as a kid and teenager are selling for 200+. Granted they're 20+ years old, but seeing them sell for more than retail back then seems ignorant to me. To each his own. I told father in law this and he took me into the barn behind their house. He has almost 12 schwinns in the barn and 4 hanging up in the garage from the 70's-80's. all in pretty much from the store condition. He also has a very old frame that I have to ID when he pulls the name off of it. and 2 1960's schwinns in the woodshed. Told him next time I'm up there I'll inventory it all and take pics and list it on CL first, then eBay if needed.

HH/GL tomorrow! I have nothing to do after a 10am appt. going to take the kids for a walk to the park and hit the beach at the small lake.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Well as far as the bikes...werent they made somewhere else beside China?? Let me explain in Yooper terms...Da Marbles was a quailty knife and made up dere....Now shes a made in the China/Pakistan?...If you compare there is a vast difference in quality. I would rather pay for da quality knife myself!.

Went out and jumped into the dump...some cobalt, 1 milk (embossed) and a few other embossed. Nothing much special. Not a pc of silverplate...just one broken stainless knife. Did find 1/2 of a plastic duck, a plastic Santa and a lot of the run of the mill glass.

Then the black flies attacked and I said the heck with it and bailed out. Good luck up there, hope you get some good finds.

hemihampton

Reaction score

ORIGINAL: ironmountain

dump 20yds from the house along the edge of the yard.. there's another one close to that dump that was actually a start of a well. 24ish feet deep and ended up being a dump. Didn't hit water. Father in law said it's full of nothing but bottles and stuff...

Ended up 4' down on the front half of this dump last year.

52DF4300190C46039F372E2BA74792C3.jpg

Looks like some old beer cans in the dump, I'd be Interested in those. Is that a Blue & White Hamms I see in pic? I was just up in U.P a few weeks ago digging in Grand Marais. Should of paid you a visit. LEON.

ironmountain

Reaction score

Hey LEON...yah, I've got a couple of those old Hamms. Just pulled a Black Label steel can out this past weekend. Still a bit rusty, but solid. I also find quite a few steel Pabst cans. And tons of Bosch cans/bottles. These people knew how to drink! I normally have to plow through a couple hundred (no joke) cans/bottles just to get down a foot or so
..I've been trying to keep some that are in decent shape for you 'cause I know you likes beer cans. Still trying to get girl friend of mine to get me info about her friend's collection. Supposedly has 300+ cans. Wanted a list to pass on since he wants to sell and they're just sitting on shelves.

Dig-many of the older Schwinns were still made in Chicago before they went overseas. The '60's Schwinns seem to be very collectible. FIL has quite a bit of the 1980's range and a few from the '70's and one from the '50's that he has hanging on bike hooks. That's the one I'm going to ID for him when i get back up there. Too much stuff in that place.

didn't make it out today. wife stayed home from work so we did stuff around the yard. thinking I'll just go in coin mode and get some silver..or at least wheats.
if there are wheaties around, there's silver close by.

GL if you can beat the flies tomorrow. (we don't get them where I live, but in Houghton they literally swarm).

hemihampton

Reaction score

Most black labels & Pabst are extremely common, unless they are Bocks? They made 2 different Bosch cans. A gold can & a White can. Which Bosch did you find? LEON.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Got out for a short hunt this am before the heat. 1q,3d,6p and a 25th RNA convention pin of some sort. The nice thing is the quarter is a SILVER 1944-P.... same area I pulled the silver 1945 E-award a while back. Probably down about 3 inches. Ive combed this area well, but it gave up most of the coins in a 50 yard area.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Gunnels