Suspected Salesman's Sample

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlebugs

Reaction score
I was down with a cold this week. Feeling much better. Glad it wasn't covid!
Took some time to appreciate my growing bottle collection and to look
carefully at my new (old) labeled Pepsi. Another mystery to unravel here.

1941pepsi.jpg

I magnified it greatly and looked for signs of pixillation etc. All good. The only anomalies
are the missing dealer privilege and the oddly subdued gradients at the corners. The label
has aged and the backing glue shows it was put on a very long time ago.

Here is a repro of the 1940 label. Very well done. Fooled even me back in the day. It was
released in the 1970s and put on actual bottles which were plentiful and cheap back then.
Even now, 50 years later, most of the labels are still sparkling white. My label has the aging
of a 90 year old label.

s-l1600.jpg

The missing dealer privilege was my first clue to follow. Only Pepsi marketing literature and sales
samples had this odd design. I am beginning to think Pepsi was revamping their label in late 1941.
They had steadily made simplifications that removed the old fashioned motos and designs of
the 1930s. The neck labels were redesigned to remove the logo and the gradient. The slogans got
shorter and shorter as the 1930s came to an end. It was definitely time to update the body label.

1722765053293.png

H4367-L289141322_original.jpg

Unknown.jpeg
images.jpeg

If you examine the ads etc. you'll see that strange anomaly. "12 OUNCES" There was always room
for the dealer privilege on the actual signs (above) and bottle labels - except this one. I was lucky
enough to find some marketing books that salesmen brought with them to visit prospective or
existing clients to display their latest innovations. I was in sales for 20 years. Our company made us
do exactly the same thing. Was Pepsi getting ready to streamline their body label to match the neck?
I think so. The entry into WW2 on December 7, 1941 changed all that. A new red white and blue label
set was released in 1942. It was simplified in the exact same order. They changed the neck later in
1942 to the swirl design and then changed the body in 1943 to the matching swirl. This is my theory.

Last edited:

bottlebugs

Reaction score
PS...the neck label is missing on this bottle. Why? All the others sold by this vendor had neck labels.
I'll ask them where they came from in bit. However, food for thought. Doesn't this look like a set to you?

hybrid 1941.jpg

Last edited:

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
I'm going to say 1940 or 1941 based on what you've shown me. Must have been just before the transition. It's kind of like what Pepsi did now. Did anybody notice that the design of the Pepsi can got more simplified and cleaned up before they changed the logo? Almost like a test to see how it would look.

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
Maybe? I was just saying that's what it looks like they did with the modern Pepsi cans recently. But I can't really explain what they did with your bottle unless somebody lived in that time and actually saw the change happen.

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
Actually now looking at your timeline your bottle could be anywhere between 1940 and 1943. If the bottle was made just before the transition then I would guess it would be made in 1942 or early 1943 right before the transition.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Date codes? Never took much time to study them. Can you help?

1722798736528.png

I know the PAT # is right but might be early as its missing a comma after 120 ie 120,277
I see a 37 or 57
34 A 52 19
LGW is Left hand Gun Shot Wound...hahahaha...no its Lauren Glass Works.. ;)

If its for 1937 then the bottle AND the label may be prototypes..it would explain the
weird ring above the lower label...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51