So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

riverdiver

Reaction score
RE: One more good morning

Hi guys, my detector is busted so I found all of this by sight underwater to include to IH pennies an 1864 fatty and an 189? who knows the date as it is worn badly. This photo was also nposted in digging and finding as it includes an OP fancy cologne.

863ECD10599545379C8428C20C6ADB2D.jpg

Attachments

• 863ECD10599545379C8428C20C6ADB2D.jpg
    863ECD10599545379C8428C20C6ADB2D.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 72

ironmountain

Reaction score

nice eyeball finds!!

I found this today, got it for dirt cheap.... it's a Fisher M-Scope tw 5 MD. It was originally used for finding underground power lines and the like, but MDers love them because you can detect stuff up to 20' down, depending upon condition and size of the item. Most people call them 2 box detectors. The newer model is the TW 6. You can find those for 700ish and up , depending on the accessories you get for it. Some of the accessories are 400+ by themselves.

friend has a 2box and there's an island on the chain of lakes he lives on that's 100yds or so from his house. I've found pics and drawings of native american camps there. We're going 2boxing this summer with his to look for relics. I'm thinking I'll bring this up to inlaws and give it a whirl in the woods for some copper/silver/relics.

here's a pic..

in the pic it looks like a 2pc case opened, but it's actually 2 separate 1/2 cases that serve as the housing for each piece...can't wait to give it a try...

E86401DB9A1942E788FCF00D19A66C59.jpg

Attachments

• E86401DB9A1942E788FCF00D19A66C59.jpg
    E86401DB9A1942E788FCF00D19A66C59.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 73

MIdigger

Reaction score

Some nice finds there RD. Keep up the good work!. You certainly find some cool things.

Iron where did you find such a tool at? Interesting find, I am interested to see what youll unearth with that machine. I havent heard of it. Certainly sounds like its got enough "penetration" to find anything.

Ive been on "heat delay" for detecting. Yesterday was another 100 degree day and 108 heat index....so I did some rummage sales and got a few bargains. Going to sit with a friend at a masonic rummage this morning. She has a mercury dime collection and some silver she wants to sell so I told her id probably buy it. She had a couple super deals I missed out on, a Pioneer auto radio NIB for only 10.00, a bucket of traps probably 15 Id guess and sold them for 10.00......it sucks to be 3rd in line!

Did get some nice DU prints (framed for $5 each). Said she has more to bring today....Id be happy with just the silver. Guess we will wait and see what I come back with! Have some festivals coming up and hope to get back out and "clear" the areas of coinage!. Supposed to cool starting tomorrow, maybe get back out and do some detecting. Good luck all!

ironmountain

Reaction score

I can't wait to see what I find also... going up to inlaws in 2 weekends when we have the huge family garage sale.

With the way the machine is now, you space yourself at least 30' apart from the other person and walk paralell until you get a signal...no idea yet how to tell how deep the signal is. I told the father in law to make sure the backhoe is at the farm. Cause out there where we'll be hunting, we're either finding copper/silver/huge relics... supposedly it won't pick up on anything smaller than a soda bottle..

there's a rail you can get for it (150$ or so) that makes it a single person carry detector. One end has a spring with a screw that you use to help with the sensitivity so you can null it out.. shouldn't be too hard to make... piece of pvc, a spring and screw and call it good... I saw a vid of a guy in russia using a similar one and he was 15' into a hole into the side of a berm. Pretty excited to hit the copper country...

We finally had a break from the weather today. this 90-105 humid stuff has finally left us. was only 80 today and tomorrow supposed to be below 80. We're hitting the creek tomorrow so sub 80 will be some good creek slopping weather. Going to go over that thing with a fine tooth comb until I either dig a deep creek, or hit paydirt.. going to slam that junkpile too..see whats all up in it...

GL if you get out tomorrow..supposed to be nice all over....get some more plate!!

ironmountain

Reaction score

got out there today. started probing the creek/mud and came up with a ton of branches. although I did hear some pinging sounds when I probed with my 8' metal pole from the roof rake. way too much in the way of sticks/mud in there, so we cleared it out. Actually taking one area at a time and shoveling it out caused the water further up to run to it to fill it. Going to dig a trench underwater like that and into the ground to lower it even further.. i walked into the creek and was pretty much waist deep in mud and water within the first few feet out.

We hit that junkyard area and i'm thinking it's a collapsed outhouse, or the outhouse and the bunkhouse from the pic, just stacked on top of each other. Found more tin ceiling pieces, an old stove top percolating coffee pot, random hunks of metal and a few horseshoes. The area was probably 10x10 or so. Thought it was going to just be a bunch of top layer stuff..until we pulled out some of the hand laid rocks. Thinking we hit the privy of the bunkhouse. all the large stuff is on top, but in the hole there were the few horseshoes, some laid bricks and stones that looked like they'd been stacked up on one another and fallen into the hole. I was able to get my entire arm in there through the dirt. Next weekend going to concentrate on that hole and running a trench (we cut away all of the branches/foliage) and see what's in that hole.

the guy who's house we park at wasn't home so couldn't get him to actually walk in there and stand on the spot where he saw all of these bottles...

we did find a couple of rare sodas for this area. 2 Arola's from Champion Bottling Works (now an antique store) and another local defunct bottler. And some early century whiskeys and meds. Nothing major yet though. was just more of a mess of junk to clear out than I figured today..Going to have to finish the trench while buddy starts on the crapper.

Going MD all day tomorrow. wife will be at work and it's supposed to be nice out.

HH if you get out.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Sounds like you are "on it" just need to locate "it". Hope you get some good stuff there. Its much cooler here, in fact, so much so I needed the air on in the house because the house is hotter inside than out. Just got all the odds and ends out from the rummage sale at the Masons from the suv. Got rid of some boxes of bottles, and some other things too. Little bit of slush funds, and a great sunburn...hurt so bad when I just combed the hair!.

Hoping to go Md this afternoon. They are going to make a small historical display at the library. My ex sis in law is helping with it. She and I talked and I donated my display case of local finds (tokens/coins/medals etc.) and also some early bottles. Said she would have a small plaque with my name as the donor. Not a big deal, but I told her its a neat idea for the history part (as theres none available at this point). Besides me staying in touch there may reveal some new sites I dont know about from the elder townsfolk. I did get one tip from an older lady and need to check it out.

Festivals will be starting this month through Fall so I hope to clear some $$. Good luck to all.

ironmountain

Reaction score

congrats on the plaque! It's a great thing to be able to donate to local history like that. and like you said, you might get elders who'll give you hints of digging/md spots, let alone spots to md. It's a win/win... you get to add something to the town and you help to shed our hobbies in a good light...cant beat that.

Was talking to a guy on one of the MD forums I go to. He had the same issue a cpl years ago as I'm having now with this creek. he said he waited til fall, when things started drying up and bam..it was suddenly bottle city buried in the sides of the banks. Not in a hurry as the guy owns it and buddy and I are the only ones with permission. If I could drive, I'd be there every day. I'd have that creek ( I call it a creek, but it's actually a creekbed that fills with runoff water...there's no flow to it at all) pretty well drained and be mud slopping... oh well..there's always next weekend....

In two weekends we'll be testing the new MD and making some money selling stuff...

didn't even get a chance to get out today...tomorrow should be easier to get out... wife will be gone for two days for work and son will be gone most of week to inlaws to help pour some concrete....

HH

MIdigger

Reaction score

Iron that area is just like the dump in our woods. The water settles but only dries out in mid summer. Its where I found the 1890s bottles/the 1912 license plate. If its anything like here, ill bet you find some good stuff. I want to go work that area again too. Horseshoes,crocks,wheel hubs for wagons,iron tools etc.

May get out mding today later. This morn is beautiful 50s out there. Good luck!

ironmountain

Reaction score

how was your weather today? friend downstate said it was still warm, but not as humid now. It's been 50's here at night. at least good sleeping weather.

Thanks for the vote of confidence about our spot. Was starting to lean toward going to inlaws and trailering up the backhoe and just go psycho on this spot. Need to show patience... Can still dig the hole until it dries out.

Did you get out today?

I still didn't have a chance to get out. had a dr appt and then wife texted me to let me know that one of our griffons ripped her nail almost all the way off, right down to the pad. She has noise anxiety (as long as thunder/fireworks etc..happen while she's inside..outside she's fine) and last night during a small storm while we were at soccer, she felt the best way to ease her anxiety was to shred my daughter's wicker laundry basket.

couldn't get a vet appt so had to go there and wait for a cancellation or a chance to sneak in....took over 3hrs. HOPEFULLY...can get out tomorrow...wife gone for work and daughter and i home alone and no dr appointments....this summer has been horrible for getting out for hobbies...

MIdigger

Reaction score

A few finds today, Couple of 40s wheats, and 2 1946 nickles. Did find another brass belt buckle too. Oh and as usual, the required 1 pc of partial silverplate (looks like 2/3rds of a spoon). Other than that I think I only got about 80 plus cents of assorted clad. I did pick up the 2 pepsi returnables someone tossed onto the ground. (slobs).

Weathers been a bit better here lows-50s and highs in the lower 80s. May get out tomorrow early. Did locate a couple spots near by that could be dump spots. I have to get the long duds on and go into the "jungle" and look. That is before the black flies and skeeters attack.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Gunnels