So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
RE: One more good morning

Plumb I havent hit silver at the bank this year. Last year I did hit some Franklins/Kennedys in the tray like you did. I am always spying at those trays. That day I got 7.50 in silver (90%) halves if I remember that bank spot correctly. Picked up some mercs for my collection today at the LCS. Ill have my Eagle 2pc "S" set next week love those coins. The rev proofs are awesome.
Iron, I sure hope you hit it big for all the work!.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Just a bit of silver 2 roosevelts 63 and 64, 1 softball, 1 set of nice sunglasses, a utility tool, 12q,16d,1n,36p....plus 9 returnables. All from the ballfields. Then the rain came back so I had to bail.

Plumbata

Reaction score

Nice job on the rosies there Rich, I am about to head to a section of woods behind an old stadium and athletic fields here and hope to find some myself. There is an old abandoned bridge crossing a creek and a nice ridge where kids probably frolicked for decades. Found a surface coke from 1947 when I scouted the place a few weeks ago, which is always a good sign. I'm bound to find me some silver there...

Detected yesterday and found a 19.26 gram, hand-made sterling silver bracelet! First detected silver in a while. Could still read the sharpied price on the back; 45 bucks. Bent and missing the stone, but Silver is Silver. [:)]

Pics coming soon.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Outstanding find!. Good luck with the new spot. Hope to get back out again this week. Have rain forecast for today and tomorrow.

Plumbata

Reaction score

The new spot produced a first for me (well, 2 of the same kind of first); 2 half dollars, about 5 feet apart!

Sadly, they are both from 1972... [:mad:][:mad:][:mad:]

Kinda funny really, ah well. No silver today, and just 1 1942 wheatie as the lonely "old" find.

My mom called me and apparently she had far better luck finding coins! She doesn't collect them or anything, but while closing out her drawer at the quilt shop she saw a wheatie and a buffalo nickel and swapped them out.

Turns out she pulled a 1913 type 1 Buffalo out of the pile of nickels! The wheatie was no good but the buff is one heckuva coin to find in circulation. 99 years old... Awesome.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Well some finds are better than none!. Last year I introduced a pal to detecting. We hit a local spot, I found some fishing lures (river was way down)....he found a `13 nickel....talk about noob luck! I havent even detected one of those yet (but did get a `94V nickel from my parents back yard).....I suppose thats why we keep doing it...looking for the big find!. I just save the clad for my slush fund. Keep at it!

ironmountain

Reaction score

nice find on the halves and bracelet. Nice that your mom is keeping her eye out for coins too. My daughter got so excited, then letdown yesterday. she saw 196..in the quarter she got back in change....then a 5.... huge disappointment for her... 1yr off. you guys are finding some nice loot.

I was going to go out today...started raining when I was getting ready. Wife was even going to take me to the beach/lake/park I used to haunt. Been a warm summer. Good time to hit the sand.

Not much time for anything else lately. Getting ready for the rummage sale. we have a 4 seasons room at the front of the house. (basically a normal room..just smaller...8x16). this room is full of tubs,boxes and other misc containers of stuff. Not to mention the stacks of basement stuff.

Still need to get to inlaws to test out the 2 box. Found a huge copper signal on the old plowed area (early 1900s plowed). Want to dig that up and get some ore!

Still dying to get back to the creek/hotel/field we're digging. if the creek was only 1" to 6" (avg 3") a cpl weeks ago, it's bound to be down lower now since we've had so much heat. Still trying to find a way to get all that muck out. (OCD and ADHD focus issues help with that..cause I'll drain that stupid creek down to the solid ground)...shoveling it is a pain. Might have to bring a come-alone we use for pulling cement.

I'm living vicariously through your hunting trips.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Not much detecting going on. Weve got a storm rumbling through today. Might get a chance tomorrow to work some areas over, and with the ground being saturated find some goods. Picked up my American eagle S mint proofs yesterday, man are those some sharp coins.

Good luck detecting.

Plumbata

Reaction score

Iron - sooner or later your daughter will get some goodies in change. She'd probably get so excited that her head would start drifting towards the clouds, lol. I really like the idea of using the 2-box to locate copper ore bodies; that should be a blast (provided you have enough energy to dig down to the signals!)

Alright, I got some pics of the finds from the last several outings. Today I scored another wheat and the first V-Nickel I've detected in ages! It is a pretty evenly worn 1911; despite the poor showing in the photos it isn't too bad looking in hand, probably a VG if ya look past the brown oxide coating. Was only about an inch down. Also found a broken up necklace which I hoped was silver, but I tested it with concentrated Nitric acid and it failed; silverplate on a copper alloy. Ah well.

The park I scored the nickel and wheat in has been "hunted-out" more or less (I've detected all over in the past and have never found silver, and only 1 wheat) but I guess I located a spot that wasn't hit as hard. My new strategy for hunting the park seems to be working well enough.

The silver bracelet I dug still has the 45.00 price written on the back, which I thought was interesting. It was only about 2 inches down.

Total coin count:
2 Halves
7 Quarters
14 Dimes
3 Nickels (1 being the V)
25 Copper pennies (including a '57 and a '42 D wheatie)
7 Zincs

376754_10101822169030470_797806884_n.jpg

582764_10101822166375790_1734086132_n.jpg

Nothing spectacular but I'm satisfied. [:)]

Plumbata

Reaction score

Totals for today:

4 quarters
7 dimes
1 nickel (register the same as pulltabs/tabs and chewed up aluminum so I don't dig the signals unless they sound quite good)
20 copper memorials
2 zincs
4 wheats ('42, '45, '53D, '55D)

Found a new park to detect, which is next to a 1940s school. Along the ballfield is a very old row of big Osage Orange trees, perhaps once forming a thick hedge back when it was all farmland. I detected along this line and found a nice large area which was producing a far greater proportion of wheaties than the rest of the park. Then some kids came out to ask me lots of questions and follow me around, getting in the way of the detector and practically running into my folding shovel a few times. The little boy, trying to make relevant conversation, told me that if I detected in their yard I'd find lots and lots of beer caps, and that his dad buried beer bottles in the yard and told the boy that he was burying them so he could "grow beer trees" [:D]. The humor was lost on the little boy, but man, I'll have to use that one on my kids, haha. Thankfully their father came out of their house (immediately opposite the row) and told them to "stop bothering (me) and go play inside!" [:D]. The guy looked like a scruffy white-trash type, but ended up being a very awesome, intelligent, and interesting guy with a multitude of hobbies. We clicked immediately and talked for a good 2 hours, and he told me about some caves and other interesting things locally I had not found/known of. Really cool dude; sadly ya don't meet people like that everyday.

So only 15 minutes of detecting that promising area got me 4 wheaties amongst other things, and there isn't much trash there either, surprisingly. If I hadn't been distracted by the kids, and then engaged in the splendid conversation, I would have probably found a decent bit more. Goin' back tomorrow and hoping for some silver. [:)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Gunnels