So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
RE: One more good morning

Cant help much with your 1st coin. The second kind of looks like a partial lamination peel. But Ive really only seen that on a few coins. I have a Kennedy that the clad layer peeled off and has the copper exposed. Might be the zinc layering?

ironmountain

Reaction score

the '43 will be steel with a layer of zinc over it. I'd say the zinc is just peeling. Would be nice if it was a copper penny. Those go for around 10K +.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Did a short evening hop today. Not a whole lot. One silver dime (1958). Came away with 5q, 2dimes, 16p and a few pcs of aluminum and copper scrap. Thought the campers wouldve been gone...still there...maybe theyll be gone by next weekend and Ill roll over that spot again. heading out first thing tomorrow if the rain holds off/or doesnt develope as expected. Good luck everyone.

MIdigger

Reaction score

The brother and I went to the coin show, got some mercury dimes for my collection. Hit a flea mkt after the show and picked up an original 1910 copy of "The Reliable Coin book No8" stating proudly on the cover PROFUSELY ILLUSTRATED published by C.F. Clarke & co, LeRoy N.Y.......to be able to purchase coins at those prices!.

Metal detecting afternoon---went to a local school, I had picked a few pennies and a nickel and there it lay just under the wood chips a 19gm Tungsten mens detailed ring.......I see this ones running about $120.00 on up. Beautiful not a scratch nick or anything........This find give you that nice happy feeling. I continued on and worked through a few other spots. Ending the sfternoon with 3q, 15d,2n,46p and the ring.

I did get stopped by a family asking to see the items Id found so I obliged them and also found a XF condition 1944 wheat (not worth much) The mans son seemed genuinely interested so I gave him the wheat penny. Seemed to make his day and the Dad invited me to eat some chips and a pop if I wanted. I politely declined and moved on. Not too bad detecting today.

Getting the bottle digging equip ready for tomorrow morning then use the detector after I tire of being a mole. hope to get some good finds tomorrow.

ironmountain

Reaction score

great post dig... always nice to put MDers in a good light with the public. Who knows, one day it might lead to an invite to detect an old farm or homestead. Also nice of you to give that little guy a coin. I always give the kids around here stuff I find when I'm out and they see me.

You must have found a few hundred dollars in clad this year already. Everytime I see you post you're chalking up a couple bucks plus other good stuff. I never knew the tungsten rings went for that much. will have to keep an eye out for those.

great score on the book too.
I love old books. So much that the wife greatly dislikes taking me to GW or yard/garage/estate sales etc.. I always can find some gem or something I'll at least read. I snagged a 1st edition Roots for .99. not too bad of a snag. Lately I've been on an old textbook/manual kick. little leather books on how to read blueprints and such. Daughter and I organized them one day last month and they took up one of those 5shelf bookshelves full. Also have a few boxes downstairs that wife keeps trying to get me to toss...I'm just waiting for a new bookshelf from her...

Haven't been doing any digging or MDing lately. Daughter and I have been going to the park across the street lately to prep her for punt/pass/kick competition. It's this weekend. We've been working on it for quite a few weeks now. yesterday we walked over to the football field at school and the coach unlocked the gates for the practice field so we could gauge her real distances instead of walking it off.

She was averaging 300-315' for all 3 combined. Last year's national winner at her age level went 301. So if she doesn't whiff, she'll do well.

probably going digging this sunday. the leaves started falling last week. went outside one morning and wondered why there were leaves all over the yard. Want to hit up the creek now that it's dry. Haven't had much in the way of rain lately and it's been sunny and warm. Hopefully the muck is semi-solid vs pure slop. Want to fish those bottles out of there...

doing the jr. firearm hunt at the end of the month with the kids at camp. Will have time to MD and dig there. also bringing out the 2box finally. would be sweet to have to get the backhoe out to dig up a hunk of copper or silver ore.

GL digging and MDing.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Good luck with the Daughter. Hope she has a good time. Ive been hoping you get to dig and detect around up there. Surely has to be some good stuffs. I went bottle diggin yesterday morning and got 6 milks, some scrap, 2 marbles, and of course the standard handful of silverplate (I think it was 3-4 spoons and one fork this time).

Still waiting for you to pull the trigger on your new detector buy yet also. Going to try some new spots detecting this weekend again. You are right, Ive done quite well with the $$$ count and the jewelry has be ok too. No big gold like last year (yet) but one never knows! Get out there and find something!!.

ironmountain

Reaction score

thanks!! she's excited to go. We spent some time on the HS practice field where the field was actually chalked and she could go endzone to endzone on a run of all 3..as long as she has fun it's all good.

You should give a tally of your clad count this year...and weight of silver plate! and how many milks you've dug up. Seems like you've picked up quite a few milks this summer as well.

the new detector would be nice. It's been about 5yrs now.

How much gold did you find last year? i haven't found any yet. silver jewelry and costume, but no gold.

HH

MIdigger

Reaction score

I really dont know how many/much in coins. From some of my scribble I have (only some months available) but from what I can find Jan-Sept 1,201 coins for $83.95 However, I would guess its at least double that amount. Some months I have no figures for, nor the total I found down in KY in March (I did well down there).

I dont remember but 2 gold rings (I think) from last year. The 14Kt was the good one! Might have found one other one. I dont think I got any gold ones this year. Lots of silver though. Been decent year for that. The Tungsten ring was a first. Its kind of neat, and best of all it fits. Hoping to get out and clean up this weekend. Just have to deal with the stress headaches...all I know is, it feels like the old Addams family series when Uncle Fester has his head stuck in that big clamp.

Must think positive--- I wont be denied the treasure! He who sits on the couch finds nothing...Good luck!, and hope your daughter does well too Iron.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Hit a few spots today. 4q,17d,37p....and a blue marble. cant tell if any of the dimes are silver, have them soaking. Hope to hit some more spots tomorrow.

Dugout

Reaction score

Is the blue marble an old one?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
banjo5str