So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
RE: One more good morning

Iron the 7-1/2 Mackinaw red/black plaid would be one Id be interested in (classic you know). Just let me know what you want for it, or Id swap you something for it. Bottles, whatever. Ive always liked the classic look of those hats. Besides I have my Mom making me a set of medium sized pillows in the red black plaid for the couch...Just like the tradional stuffs. Thanks, Rich

ironmountain

Reaction score

I love that style too. Like the old Filson Mackinaw jackets. My grandfather had a red/black plaid one that he'd had since he was a youngster working in the woods with his father. It was supposed to be handed down to me, but my dad's soak of a brother traded it for booze...he did the same thing with the huge ( like, 5lb looking) mustard container that was shaped like a French's jar full of coins from the 40's-70's....anyhow...off the drunkle topic...

I've always wanted one of the Filson double mack jackets in forest green. and a stormy kromer to go with it. told the wife i'm going to be one of those old timers in wool pants, flannel shirt, pair of either Danner Jacks or some 12" LaCrosse logging boots and my filson mack and kromer hat. she just rolls her eyes at me.

I do get away with wearing my forest green wool bibs for hunting though...she hasn't given me grief about those yet..

How does a cool 20$ sound? the sticker says 29.99 and I paid between 15 and 20 for it. I'll pm you my info and I still have your info. Just let me know and I'll get it ready for ya.

Raining today. Was going to go to neighbors house and MD. This being the house that I was allowed to MD last year due to it being empty. The renters next door moved out and the house is up for sale again. Been raining all day though. Full of batteries and ready to MD at the farm this weekend. Today is going to be clean house, do laundry for the weekend and pack kids.

HH if you get out

MIdigger

Reaction score

The Filson and some others are expensive, but you get great quality and they last a LONG time. Well worth the investmant IMO. I was just looking at the Mackinaw coats, but being Ill move to KY in the not too far future I probably wont need one (and I have plenty of coats right now).
Maybe a lighter Fall type jacket, as my older Filson does have a tear in it from the abuse I put it through. Yes, Id like to get the cap from you too.
Hows the leaves up there getting the colors yet? their turning down here and its dropping into the 30s at night. Saw a long range forecast that says winter is going to be much like last year (I detected all winter--it only snowed 4 times here) supposed to stay warm and not much moisture.
Good luck detecting, hope to get out and do some more myself this weekend.

ironmountain

Reaction score

going to be moving down with your brother? that'll be nice! hardcore bass fishing down there! I agree with the price of a Filson. But like you say, they last forever and ever. You definitely won't need a full on Mackinaw down there. Maybe a Shirt-Jac or a good barn coat. I'll pm my info to you today.

Leaves started turning a week or so ago. Went outside and wondered why we had leaves in our yard already. Haven't really seen too much in the way of a color change yet..just falling. When it gets really pretty up here I'll get some pics on here. The covered road in Houghton is especially nice. It's basically a corridor of trees that form walls and a canopy. A winter like last year will be ugly up here. We only had 11" of snow and bitter freezing cold wind the rest of the winter. At least up in Houghton they get less cold, more snow. Easier to go outside and do things vs going outside and just freezing on the cement ground!

didn't even get a chance to go out today. was rainy and dark much of the day. By 1 the weather was turning somewhat sunny and by then I was in full packing stuff mode. Need to break down my F2 and toss that and my 2box into Fisher MD bag.

One pretty neat thing happened today. One of the bows I picked up is a custom made bow. It's an American and on the limbs it says "Handcrafted by Dave Barnsdale" and 1-21-91031. He's a guy who used to work for American until they went out of business, or sold off to High Country Archery...he then started making his own limbs and is now considered one of the best custom limbmakers in the country.

I emailed him just to get a bit of info about the bow. he said that it was the 31st bow he made in his first year of business...pretty cool considering that some people are on at least a 1year wait list for his work. Gorgeous maple limbs. I'll have to get some pics. was nice to hear back from him so soon.

Time for more packing for the trip. We have to go to the football game tonight. Son is in band, so he's marching. Then off to Houghton.

HH if you get out. I'll get out this weekend.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Got the info, thanks. That bow stuff sounds very interesting. Rained most of the evening last night, so I took off for some schools and parks at O-dark-thirty this am.
Not much today, 7q,8d,4n,21p and a butterfly pendant. Hit one other spot yesterday but that only gave up 1q,2d,12p. Saw one guy out yesterday with one of the Garrett 150-350s not sure which he had,as he was a ways away from me, and wasnt there too long. About due for some more silver I think. Still pretty happy with that tungsten ring I got last week.

Have some other running today, going to look at a Blazer today thats in decent shape. Maybe hit the coin shop and see whats new also. Good luck up that way.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Did a short PM hunt at a few spots this afternoon. 3q,3d,1n,21p a sterling peace sign pendant, a piece of copper tubing, and even better on the bottle returnables. $3.20 of those someone left me. Got to love 60 degree weather for detecing.
Tomorrow morning bottle digging, then pm detecting again.

MIdigger

Reaction score

Just a little more spending change and a ring. 8q,9d,3n,42p and a small silver ring. Did get to see an outstanding trophy 10 pt buck this morning. Just standing at a corner. What an absolute beautiful picture that was as the sun came up.

ironmountain

Reaction score

sounsd like you had nice luck despite the rain the last cpl of days. we didn't see a ton of deer. was rainly and semi-cold most of the day all weekend. My daughter is an explorer like me and she led me off the main trail on the property. we went to a place we'd never been and found an old camp site. found an arrow, an older pepsi bottle and a steel pepsi and steel mt dew can.

Found a few things MD'ing. I found a silvery blue hood for a cutlass buried about 4feet down in the woods. haven't pulled it out yet. more tractor parts and misc farming metal. I did get one eyeball find. One of those Griswold cast iron hanging pans. Like the kind for over afire. this one is shallow though, 3-4" and in need of a really good cleaning.

My best finds: Went back to the 1/2 house that was mushed up there. Wanted to find the privy. Heck i don't even know where I'd begin there!!! the background: the ooooooooold guy who owned the place used to just dump his scrap and non-working vehicles there. His sister took it over in '26 and then moved to detroit, eventually dying. the person who owns it now must be the guy who lets us hunt the land djacent because we've hunted on same property as the house and never had an issue. Plus father in law is very strict on trespassing so would give us pure grief if we ever stepped foot on someone else's land w/o permission......

so we're back at the house after hunting in the morning and i make the announcement i'm walking my butt up there to explore.

I get there and behind the house find a long ravine. start following it, quite a few old tires (like skinny model a tires) and misc glass and misc oil cans strewn everywhere. I find another bldg and it looks like a cellar of some sort. 8' deep with crude cement blocks and all kinds of wooden doors etc just dropped in there. I find a foundation of what looks like a possible privy. white block to the surface, hunks of board strew about it and large enough for an outhouse. I dig into it a bit and all i hit is gravel and finally tires. loads of rotten tires. almost 6' of tires stacked in there. small bit away from there there seems to be a 2stall garage foundation. a large E made of the same cement block and spaced far enough apart to work on a vehicle. Nothing but hard gravel under that too...

I look over and see a couple hunks of metal on top of each other.... 2 car frames with the headlights still attached....I start looking around carefully and realize im in old car heaven.....

so this is what i find there: (these are just the things i took home). there are multiple car frames, must be close to 100 headlights, not pitted, not broken, still shiny, wheel hubs, more tired, i found a full on clutch with disc and all ad the list goes on.... next time Im bringing the pickup truck and filling it...k..the pic...

2 frames on top of each other..the 2nd one was buried about 6" down

BB329E88BC184E8F8C90B11FB3B7F14F.jpg

Attachments

• BB329E88BC184E8F8C90B11FB3B7F14F.jpg
    BB329E88BC184E8F8C90B11FB3B7F14F.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 74

ironmountain

Reaction score

a Stromberg Carb.
South Bend USA
B-8