So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Well, Iam hoping to get out and get some detecting and digging in soon. 40s for a few days so I might get lucky. Heading to Kentucky the 14th again for 4 days or so. Will be cleaning up at the parks like last year. I hope theres a lot of quarters again. Off for the spring break at college.

About the only finds Ive come up with are from the LCS` Ive got some pretty nice 5cent buffalos, and some Merc dimes and a few walkers. Chopping at the bit to go detecting and hope I can hit the new spots soon. Going to hit some more of the antiques shops. Will send a PM about the items friends and I maybe looking for if you have/come across them.

Plumbata

Reaction score
A few days ago I was walking around town in Columbus, Ohio exploring for places to detect, and I was stopped and searched by a cop. The neighborhood was pretty crappy and notorious for Heroin and Crack so being Caucasian and young I stuck out like a sore thumb. I had nothing to hide so it was nothing more than an inconvenience, but in talking to the officer about metal detecting and what I was doing, she suggested a few places that I should try. One was a big fancy High School built in the 20s that had just closed, which I was not aware of. I had scouted it before while it was still operating and it has many hills and ridges and nice places to detect, but I did not want to be a problem or distraction, and the most promising looking areas were part of the tended landscaping and very visible. Now, those areas are not tended and are prime for detection. The potential is very high provided it hasn't already been cleaned out. Unlikely considering the grounds cover more than 10 acres. Once the show melts I'll hit it hard. I'll keep y'all updated and hope that this year's hunting is splendid for all of you.

Dugout

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: ironmountain

pics of the ring... like i said, the pic where the 2 ends meet looks a bit skewed in this pic. the small part is under the wide part. the wide part actually has a bit of a bend to it. gives it a bit of a different look.

6531AC5AACC941A38139013B6D6EF05F.jpg

That is a spoon ring.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Got back from hunting the school, and although no silver materialized, it was still great to get out.

The noteworthy finds:

1887 Indian Head Penny! First one is quite some time! Heavily circulated but it has a great green patina, very nice looking.
1910 wheat
1935 wheat
1951D wheat
1955 wheat
Fired copper jacketed .45 bullet.

Hopefully I will nab some silver to show y'all soon! Happy hunting folks!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Nice find on the IH. I actually took a hammer and the detector out for a short time. I managed a recent quarter and some brass fittings. I had to bust through the frozen ground, but at least i got to find something. I did observe the 1st robin here yesterday so maybe Spring is actually going to appear.
Sure looking forward to the trip to Kentucky this week, and doing some detecting in more hospitable climate. Time to get some nice weather and some coinage clean-ups.
Good luck everyone, hope were going to have a prosperous season!!.

BellwoodBoys

Reaction score
I got out on a friends property and found

.1 copper penny
.3 shotgun shells
. Chrome parts
. an old pen rest

ironmountain

Reaction score
sounds like a nice tip Plumb. the coins you found can only lead to better finds.
crazy you guys are getting out already. was 40 the other day and snow was melting pretty well....ended up getting 5" yesterday. It's melting again.
Cant believe you went out with a hammer Rich! you are definitely hardcore....
wife drove me to check out the hotel/creek we started digging last year. the snow on the way in is pretty deep. waist high or so. Doesn't look that deep at the creekbed and banks. didn't attempt to make it in. maybe i should bring snowshoes.

Dugout..yep a spoon ring. Was going through bags and boxes and pails of stuff in the basement and had a small 3lb drywall mud bucket full of silver plate. Gave me something to do.
Just finished a bracelet for daughter last night. two fork handles, the center silver piece is a hunk from a Taxco (Mexico) silver bracelet (looks like a celtic knot) with a green cab....
at the clasp I put the face of a ring that I happened to have found MD'ing that matches the bracelet face.

wasn't quite done at this point. had to make sure it fit her arm and adjust it. still was fun to make...... Once I finish ripping computers apart I'm going to make either a large Halo Master Chief helmet, or the guy from Skyrim (Dragonborn or whatever his name is).

Not much else going on. waiting for snow to go away.
here are a cpl pics of the bracelet. remember, I'm an amateur!!

EB047223344F46FC94296154FD0375DC.jpg

Attachments

• EB047223344F46FC94296154FD0375DC.jpg
    EB047223344F46FC94296154FD0375DC.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 76

Plumbata

Reaction score
That bracelet looks great to me Iron, nice work! Good to have rewarding indoor projects while it is still frozen outside.

ORIGINAL: ironmountain

...a large Halo Master Chief helmet...

Haha, that would be awesome! Post pics if you ever get around to it. I don't play video games but my friends do, and I've watched enough to know that Master Chief is Da Man! [:D]

Dugout

Reaction score
You're quite the jeweler Ironmountain. Nice idea there.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC